Monday, March 31, 2014

What I'm Into: March

On the Nightstand:
I'm finally, FINALLY getting back in a good reading habit after our big move. 

Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions by Brennan Manning 

I'm loving readings that seem to be perfect for Lent. 


Immersion Bible Study: Psalms- J. Clinton McCann
I've said before, but this one has been harder to get into than some of the New Testament ones from the same series. I do feel like the Psalms are so beautiful and so inspiring, though. Peyton actually found this great resource for sing the Psalms, and even though it feels sort of awkward and uncomfortable, I've enjoyed it. 

A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live- Emily Freeman

I finished it this month! It was slightly repetitive at times and I also found myself yearning for her to be more concrete, but I love Emily's writing and it really does motivate and inspire. It made me feel a little more brave and less scared to unleash my creativity.  



I picked this back up and have almost finished it. It's so full of wisdom. 

I'm hoping to finish this one this week, too. It's been really helpful. I feel like it takes a way that I naturally want to parent and sort of breaks down and explains how to do it effectively. It's really, really important to my that my children are able to process their emotions well and so I find this sort of thing very interesting. One big take away is that not all behavior is permissible, but all feelings are. I know some would argue that anger might not be, but I think the point is to help a child walk through those hard emotions rather than saying "good boys and girls don't feel this way".

On the Shelf:Real Sex- Lauren Winner
This is another one I started back in the Fall and I can't wait to pick back up. It comes with the strong recommendation of a dear friend so I'm excited. 

Finding My Way Home: Pathways to Life and the Spirit- Henri Nouwen 
Peyton read this really quickly and loved it and said I would, too. So that's on the list for this month, too. 

At the Theater (or from the couch):
I have a documentary goal this year and I've been working on that a bit. I'm not planning on counting the first two because honestly, they are twenty year old tabloid stories. But it's the stuff of (Olympic) legends and like most of American (clearly), there's a part of me that's fascinated by the scandal:

Nancy and Tonya- this aired on NBC right before the closing ceremonies. 
The Price of Gold- this was made earlier in the year as part of ESPN's 30 for 30 series. Nancy Kerrigan was actually not interviewed in it. 
This Slate article discusses some of the differences in the film and in how the former skaters are portrayed. Both films were interesting character portrayals and it was fascinating to see how Tonya's background may have contributed. It was also interesting to see the dynamic of how most of America perceived Kerrigan as an ice princess and Harding as well, trashy. I was too young to pick up on all that at the time, so it's fascinating to see the story from that perspective. 

In more serious viewing, I actually got the opportunity to attend a free(!!) screening here in Brooklyn. 
The Loving Story- the tagline was "love in the time of Jim Crow" and it's about the Richard and Mildred Loving, an interracial couple living in rural Virginia in the late '50s and their fight for the legality of their marriage which brought them all the way to the United States Supreme Court. Ultimately, it would be the ruling in this case that ended anti-miscegenation laws in this country. The icing on the cake was a discussion after the screening with one of the filmmakers and a political science teacher at a college here in the city. It was incredibly interesting and I really would love to explore this sort of thing more. 

On the Small Screen:
We've also actually been watching more than we have in a long while.

The West Wing- I took some time off during the craziness and it's fun to have that little indulgence of "me time" with Josh and Toby and Sam and President Bartlet. It's harder to work in, though in some ways because Peyton's already seen it and Annie spends most of naptime in the den, which is our only room with a TV now. So I'm pretty much limited to the time between when the kids go to bed and when Peyton gets home. And usually I'm tempted to do computer stuff then instead.

Law and Order: Special Victims Unit- I've always liked this show and it's my favorite of the L&O franchise by far. I feel like that makes me sound sort of pervy? I guess I just hooked onto the characters and for some reason the crimes, while more disturbing, are often more intriguing. Not sure? Anyway, I had to stop for awhile because my anxiety got out of control and I was *terrified* that I was (or worse yet, the kids were) going to become a rape victim. It was like a pedophile or a sodomizer was around every corner. Anyway, it seems those fears have been conquered a bit and we've gotten back into it. It's especially fun when they give street names or neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and the Bronx because we're often familiar with them.

How I Met Your Mother- We just started this last night, per the recommendation of a good friend. I'm a huge sucker for "nostalgia" type shows (e.g. The Wonder Years) and it's fun to find one about young adulthood, rather than childhood or adolescence. It's not at all our usual type show (we're just not big sitcom people), but we laughed so hard a few times during the pilot and honestly, we both commented how we were in such a jovial mood when it was over. 

In My Ears:
No playlist this month. But it's HUGE on my April to-do list. I actually haven't been listening to that much music because I used to always listen in the car. Peyton listens on his iPod on the subway, but when I'm on it it's almost always with him and the kids and/or I'm kind of freaking out waiting for my stop. Anyway, I watched some Springsteen videos the other night on YouTube and it was a great little treat.

High Hopes- Bruce Springsteen
 I did by his newest album before we moved. I have a few favorites and I'm sure they'll appear on the April playlist. 

Around the House:
Well, the whole "house" is different, so there's that. We JUST got access to the storage unit that's part of our lease and Peyton's been hoarding boxes to save for when we move home, so it's not totally how I want it yet, but it's all coming together nicely.

In the Kitchen:
I'm also finally starting to get in a routine here, too. I've cooked spaghetti and chili and and made BBQ and poppyseed chicken. Oh, and I've cooked Tilapia once. 

One really neat thing up here is the grocery options. We thought we'd be super limited and that the prices would be horrible. We are so fortuate! There's a little grocery store right across the street from us and the produce is less (like way less!) than in Mississippi. We can get blackberries for a dollar! I think it has to do with stocking and how they just can't keep as much in stock as like Kroger could and they have to get it to move fast. Anyway, we're also OBSESSED with Trader Joe's. Pretty sure there will be a Trader Joe's snack featured monthly as part of this thing. And we have a Target for staples. Shockingly, our grocery bill hasn't really shot up. 

We've also found a pizza place we love and a great restuarant for Southern favorites (grits and mac and cheese). Since we have literally no childcare options yet, we're enjoying date nights in the apartment :)

In My Closet:
I decided that over the next little bit (like several years) I want to do a complete closet overhaul simply by stalking the petites at Anthropologie online and waiting until they go on sale. 

In Their Closets:
Graves is wearing JEANS. He'll be three in two weeks, but I wouldn't have been brave enough to take the plunge except that I had a couple of cute pairs my sister in law passed down and I actually think they look really adorable on him. They're also warmer than most of his jonjons, so that's nice on a practical level. 

I LOVE this raincoat. I got it at Target awhile back and I'm just obsessed. Wish they had had one in my size. Her boots were also a hand me down from the same boy cousin (who is actually younger). I think they're so precious, though, and I was determined to get two more kids' use out of them. 

In My Mailbox:
I ordered our Kindergarten homeschool curriculum an it's arrived. I posted more about it here, but we're using Logic of English for reading/writing and RightStart Math for math. I'm so excited (and nervous). Eek! 

In My Cart:
I actually started my "overhaul" and got a handful of things from the Anthro. They're all (like everything there) really unique and fun and they just feel so good on. 

On My Heart:
This city. And home in Mississippi. It's amazing how I've already grown to love this place so much. But it's also incredible how much there is to miss back home. Coming up on the kids birthdays really makes me a little homesick. 

And these sweet little people themselves. I cannot believe I'm about to have a five year old and a three year old. Both seem like "milestone" ages (five more than three, but still three is a big deal). 

In My Prayers:
I've been praying that I'll be able to enjoy this adventure fully and just immerse myself in the city and not stress and try to obsessively plan the next chapter of our lives. This is sort of a theme for me, struggling to be present in the right now and it's become so much more apparent since having children how important that really is. 

On the Calendar: 
We've sort of made a weekly commitment to volunteer at an awesome ministry in the South Bronx, so we're doing that. In addition, we have some fun stuff coming up- I'm taking a free photography class at the library and going to what seems like will be an AWESOME conference and then on Saturday we're getting out of the city and going to visit some friends on Long Island. And that's just this week! 


As always, I'm linking up with Leigh. Go check out some other What I'm Into posts!

What I'm Into  

3 comments:

Bech and Marley Evans said...

We broke out our first pair of jeans this January. All of our longalls are just a little too thin for the freezing weather we've had all weekend.

Also, the KK's sale was on the website. I bet they'll do a summer outlet one in about 6 months (and I will be watching for it!).

Anna Wastell said...

I love your layout of this post - all the categories are fun. AND, I love your style idea for overhauling your closet. Love me some Anthro! :)

Leigh Kramer said...

I was bummed I wasn't home to watch Nancy and Tanya when it aired. I was glued to the whole controversy when it went down and only as I've grown up, have I been able to appreciate the nuances and media bias.