Monday, April 7, 2014

Marriage Letters: How We Co-Labor



Dear Peyton,

If we're together, I never push the stroller. And you couldn't do a load of laundry correctly to save your life. You mostly do the grocery shopping and I mostly do the cleaning. We rock a baby equally well, but obviously we don't nurse a baby or give a piggy back ride equally well. We sort of compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses in the pragmatic ways

But that's not really what this letter is about, is it?  I think we co-labor best when we're working through the hard things.

I put something cryptic on Facebook lat night about how one of these days there'll be a decision to be made and I'll be the good one and you'll be the selfish one. I said how one of the hardest things in the world is being married to someone more noble than yourself. So often your motives are so much more altruistic than mine. So much more long-sighted.

But even here I think we balance. You dream big. I think you're a sort of visionary. And, while I've mostly learned to go along with it and just see what comes to fruition, sometimes I have to help you get your feet back on the ground.

And I have to make sure there's at least one damn pair of socks clean to go on the feet of such a bold servant of the Lord.

Surely that is not insignificant?

I actually don't think it is. That's where I land right now. It took me awhile to get here, but I've realized the beauty, and the worth, in the ordinary, the dirty, the profane. The tasks of daily life that require humility to accomplish and creativity to make the accomplishment mean something. Such is the life of a mother to young children.

And often such is the life of serving a servant.

It's a blessing to call you mine, even when the mirror of your eyes shows mine to be dirty and tear-stained and feeling not enough.

You push me to greater things.

I hope that in some ways, I do the same for you. Weather that means bringing you back Earth-side or laundering socks for the flight to the moon.

Standing and Flying with You Always,
SD

MarriageLetters
MarriageLetters

No comments: