Wednesday, April 30, 2014

May Happenings


This is my favorite header in awhile. I hardly ever repeat backgrounds, but I had this one a LONG time ago (like before I started doing my headers this way) and I loved it. I thought it would be fun to give in another go. Next month I'm going to try to use some pictures from my real camera!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May is going to be AMAZING, I'm pretty sure. Spring is finally here and the cherry blossoms are blooming and there's so much beauty and hope filling the city streets.

April has been hard for some reason. Some of it was specific things and some of it was just more like the blues. I gotta be honest and say that if I make another header and we're still wearing jackets, I may lose it.

But onto full of beauty and light and love MAY--

- My two closest momma friends are coming up in a couple of weeks to spend a few days. Ashley is so great at planning trips, so she's actually figured out most of what we're going to do. Everything she has down looks like so much fun and it's going to be so wonderful to catch up with two of my favorites. Peyton's off that weekend and we're going to spend a couple of nights here and then a couple in a hotel in Manhattan. What a treat!

- Then later in the month, my best friend of oh, fifteen years, and his precious wife are coming up. I haven't really planned out what we'll do yet, but I know we'll have a blast showing them around and just doing fun, laid back stuff.

- We're going to a cook out on Friday at one of the churches we've been attending and I'm really excited about that. I think we're also going to an event at the Brooklyn Historical Society this weekend.

- May is also mine and Peyton's birthdays. I'm sure we'll order some special take out =)

That's all I can think of right now. I'm so excited about seeing friends from home!

Here are last month's goals:
1. Continue to read regularly. I did pretty good with this. I finished up a couple of books and started a new one. 

2. Get back into a routine of regularly backing up pictures on the external hard drive and Flikr. I've started, but I'm not back into a routine yet. Needs to happen.

3. Make the kids' birthday celebrations special and intentional. More importantly, make sure we are intentional in our Easter celebration. Easter was great, but we really could have been more intentional. We read and talked with Annie a good bit and showed her a clip from a video version of the Jesus Storybook Bible, but we didn't dig as deeply as I would've liked. Their birthday celebration was very simple (we gave them some small gifts, went to see the dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History, and took them out to eat), but they had a great time.

4. Take pictures with my "real" camera at least once a week. I did slightly better, but not what I would have liked. Keeping it on the list for this month. 

5. Sing a psalm regularly (I hesitate to say daily, but we'll try) with Peyton. We discovered this site and I really meant to take advantage of it more. I failed miserably at this one. I'm going to repeat it, too, because I want to this to be a priority.

This month's goals:

1. Take pictures with my "real" camera at least once a week. Keep up/beef up this practice. 

2. Sing a psalm regularly (I hesitate to say daily, but we'll try) with Peyton. I'm going to give this a go again and see if we can do better!

3. Prepare and plan for friend visits. Basically just get everything clean and ready and also get a rough itinerary together for when Ellis and Minda visit.

4. Cook three times a week, minimum. I've been doing better with this, but it's always something I struggle with.

5. Settle on and order a toddler carrier for Graves. It sounds crazy (I mean, he is three!), but I think it will be so helpful going down the steep subway stairs and doing buses and such. I just can't have him not in a stroller/on me when I'm by myself with both kids, but even the umbrella stroller is difficult to deal with in the subway stations that don't have elevators (which is most of them). It's really hard to carry the stroller and him and be mindful of Annie. When we're just walking in the neighborhood, I'm sure I'll still use the stroller, but when I use public transit, I think this will be a better option.

6. Change over mine and the kids' closets for Summer. This is not as big of a process as it was in Mississippi because we don't have near as much stuff here (I left about half my wardrobe at home- and will probably get rid of all of it when we move back). It'll still take some time, though, obviously. I'm going to leave a few warm things for chillier days, but y'all if I can't change over my closet until June, I don't know what I'll do.

Here's to May, a month bathed in friendship, a month where we'll enjoy old friendships and hopefully form new ones. May we remember we are a relational people, look into the eyes of strangers on the sidewalks, and celebrate the humanity we find in the bustling Brooklyn streets. 

This month I'm linking up with Hayley at The Tiny Twig!
The Tiny Twig

1 comment:

Mallory from Mississippi said...

May is going to be so fun! I wish I were coming. I love your background--so SD--reminds me of your kitchen accessories.