Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Weekly Smorgasbord

I'm trying to get back to making this a regular thing, but I'm not doing great at it. Anyway, here's some links from the last couple of weeks!




On ADHD and Over-Medication:
Posted: 02 Apr 2014 09:12 PM PDT
Yes, the drugs these children consume may work. They help them focus for longer periods of time. They help them do better in school. But consider this: Stimulants work on just about anyone. "These are powerful drugs," says Bob Schaffer, the former Colorado congressman. "They would work on me. They would make anyone more focused. And everyone's happy because the kid is now under control." The fact that the drugs would help you perform better at work doesn't mean you should take them. And it certainly doesn't mean a seven-year-old boy who doesn't suffer from a psychiatric disorder should be taking them. Why not, if they help him do better? Because, for one thing, an important study of four thousand children published last year concluded that children who took stimulants didn't do any better in school than kids who didn't. But also, and perhaps more important, because he might not be the same seven-year-old boy once he starts, and he may never be the same boy again."

I have thoughts on this. I actually sort of went off about it on Facebook. I plan to share my thoughts here, but it really needs to be its own post. 

On Marriage:
Posted: 27 Mar 2014 08:33 PM PDT
"As I read the passage in the book, I realized something very important about my body image. Mainly - I need to verbally tell my husband the words that will help me. The words of affirmation that will REALLY help me, and also the words or phrases that don't help. I want to go on the record by saying that I have the most incredible, sensitive and supportive husband in the world! He would be the first to agree though, that he's not a mind reader. If there are words or phrases or topics that we're really sensitive about, we have to tell our husbands! It clicked for me that that's what so many women crave - throwing away mirrors and just being told by the person we want to impress the most (that SHOULD be our husbands) that they see us as God sees us."

My friend Ashley blew me away with this post. So many great insights here.

On Homosexual Activity and Other Sins:
Posted: 02 Apr 2014 08:54 PM PDT
"If our only response is to speak the truth in love to the exclusion of the hundreds and hundreds of verses that call us toward mercy, peace, kindness, hospitality, and patience while leaving judgment to God, the only One able to judge fairly and correctly (James 4: 11-12), consequently also the only One who transforms and sanctifies, then I insist that you exercise that practice with every single sinner in your life. Every single one. Every single sin. Otherwise that obedience has no integrity. Every. Single. Sin. I want it called out in truth and love, I want it blogged about, I want it argued into legislation, I want it discussed in public forums outside of genuine relationships, I want articles, I want excommunications. I would respect a believer who calls out every sinner and sin around him in equal measure over one who selectively applies Scripture to certain categories. (I would not like that believer, but I would at least respect his consistency.)"

On Adoption:
Posted: 20 Mar 2014 10:11 AM PDT
This was a different perspective, one I didn't really even no was an option, as the title alludes to. What an amazing gift!

On My Mind and In My Heart:
Posted: 27 Mar 2014 08:34 PM PDT
"I've been wanting to share more of our stories over here on this blog. I'm keeping up with my Weekly Happenings on my main blog, but I want to really write about some of our experiences here. Anyway, last week I actually went to a writer's group at the library and I just wrote for an hour. It was hard and it's NOT my best writing- I was scared at first I'd just leave with blank pages- but it seems to work for an introductory post and a recap of one of my favorite days."

No comments: