Saturday, June 28, 2014

Tunes for the Month: June




I decided for this month I wanted to do a "theme" list (mostly) of Summer songs. They aren't necessarily about Summer, but they in some way connect for me. I borrowed a few of them came from Megan's May playlist. And a handful are from WAY back. A lot of these are fun pop songs and I didn't end up doing as much lyrical analysis as usual. They are just a whole lot of fun to listen to. Enjoy 'em!

[Also, this is my first time to make a playlist on Spotify rather than iTunes. I'm going to use Spotify for a couple of months and then assess. They seem to both have strengths and weaknesses.]

1. Summer in the City- The Lovin' Spoonful

Hot town, Summer in the city
Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty 
Been down, isn't it a pit
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city

This sort of turned out to be the theme song of this Summer so far. It's fun and retro and makes me not as grumpy about being so damn hot all the time (the train platform is hot, the sidewalk is hot, our not central aired apartment is HOT).

2. Run-Around- Blues Traveler 
Oh, I like coffee and I like tea
I'd like to be able to enter a final plea
I still got this dream that you just can't shake
I love you to the point you can no longer take
Well all right okay, so be that way
I hope and pray that there's something left to say
But you
Why you wanna give me a run-around
Is it a sure-fire way to speed things up
When all it does is slow me down

I put the next one of the list first and then saw this one. I love Blues Traveler and it takes me way, way back. The lyrics are a bit nonsensical, but so much fun. It gives me a good vibe and feels like Summer.


3. Hook- Blues Traveler
It doesn't matter what I say
So long as I sing with inflection
That makes you feel that I'll convey
Some inner truth of vast reflection
But I've said nothing so far
And I can keep it up for as long as it takes
And it don't matter who you are
If I'm doin' my job, it's your resolve that breaks
Because the hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Again, cheery wonderful Blues Traveler. I think I first heard them when I was in 5th or 6th grade at Saint Andrews and I saw some "Upper School" kids put lyrics as quotes in the yearbook. 

4. Summer of '69- Bryan Adams
I got my first real six-string
Bought it at the five-and-dime
Played it till my fingers bled
Was the summer of '69
Me and some guys from school
Had a band and we tried real hard
Jimmy quit, Jody got married
I shoulda known we'd never get far
Oh when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Ya - I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life
Ain't no use in complainin'
When you got a job to do
Spent my evenings down at the drive-in
And that's when I met you
Standin' on your mama's porch
You told me that you'd wait forever
Oh and when you held my hand
I knew that it was now or never
Those were the best days of my life

Clearly another quintessential Summer song. Makes me nostalgic for high school. I'm fortunate, though, because THESE are the best days of my life =)

5. Born to be Wild- Steppenwolf
Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Looking for adventure
In whatever comes our way
Yeah, darlin'
Gonna make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

Love it. Can't even remember where I heard it first but I've loved it as long as I can remember.

6. Brothers in Arms- Dire Straits
Some day you'll return to
Your valleys and your farms
And you'll no longer burn
To be brothers in arms
Through these fields of destruction
Baptisms of fire
I've witnessed your suffering
As the battles raged higher

This is an exception to the Summer theme. I heard it one The West Wing and just loved it so much and had to add it.

7. New York City- They Might Be Giants 
We met in the springtime at a rock-and-roll show
It was on the bowery when it was time to go
We kissed on the subway in the middle of the night
I held your hand, you held mine, it was the best night of my life.
'cause everyone's your friend in new york city
And everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty
The streets are paved with diamonds and there's just so much to see
But the best thing about new york city is you and me

I included this one for our anniversary earlier this month!

8. Jessie's Girl- Rick Springfield
And she's watching him with those eyes
And she's lovin' him with that body, I just know it
Yeah 'n' he's holding her in his arms
Late, late at night
You know, I wish that I had Jessie's girl
I wish that I had Jessie's girl
Where can I find a woman like that

Kinda trashy, I guess, but this is another one from back in junior high/high school that I could not get enough of. It's still hard not to belt it out!

9. My Best Friend's Girl- The Cars 
(Here she comes again)
When she's dancing 'neath the starry sky
She'll make you flip
(Here she comes again)
When she's dancing 'neath the starry sky
I kinda like the way she dips
And she's my best friend's girl
Well, she's my best friend's girl
But she used to be mine
This is one from Megan's list. It actually made me think of the one right above it. Another fun one to grab an hairbrush and sing your heart out to.

10. Queen of Hearts- Juice Newton
And moonlight
You're just a heartache in disguise
Won't you keep my heart from breaking
If it's only for a very short time
Playing with the queen of hearts
Knowing it ain't really smart
The joker ain't the only fool
Who'll do anything for you

I know this song vaguely, but if it weren't for Megan's list I never would have thought of it!

11. Windows Are Rolled Down- Amos Lee
Corn rows have companion feel
This rocky road and this steering wheel
Who do you call to ease your pain?
I hope for you to get through this rain
Windows are rolled down
Moon is hanging low
Windows are rolled down
Think it's time for me to go, hey

So beautiful. I love the imagery and the emotion.

12. Folding Chair- Regina Spektor
Come and open up your folding chair next to me
My feet are buried in the sand and there's a breeze
There is a shadow, you can't see my eyes
And the sea is just a wetter version of the skies
Let's get a silver bullet trailer and have a baby boy
I'll safety pin his clothes all cool and you'll graffiti up his toys
I've got a perfect body but sometimes I forget
I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat
Yes they do, they do.


More great imagery and a quirky vibe. 

13. Run- George Straight
If there's a plane
Or a bus leaving Dallas
I hope you're on it
If there's a train moving fast
Down the tracks
I hope you caught it
'Cause I swear out there
Ain't where you ought to be
So, catch a ride, catch a cab
Don't you know I miss you bad
But don't you walk to me
Baby run
Cut a path across the blue skies
Straight in a straight line
You can't get here fast enough

Old school country like whoa!

14. Moonshadow- Cat Stevens
And if I ever lose my eyes
If my colors all run dry
Yes, if I ever lose my eyes
Ooh, I won't have to cry no more
Yes, I'm bein' followed by a moon shadow
Moon shadow, moon shadow
Leapin' and hoppin' on a moon shadow
Moon shadow, moon shadow

I decided that one fun thing would be to include a few songs that we used to listen to in the back of my dad's car on the way to the pool and back. I remember his spreading out towels for us to sit on in my mom's Saab and turning up some Cat Stevens and John Melloncamp. Moonshadow was a real favorite.

15. Werewolves of London- Warren Zevon
I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walkin' through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was lookin' for the place called Lee Ho Fooks
Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mein
Aaahoo! Werewolves of London
Aaahoo!
Aaahoo! Werewolves of London
Aaahoo!

Another one from those back of the Saab days. Such a decidedly creepy song, but we loved it!

16. Jack and Diane- John Mellencamp
Little ditty about Jack and Diane
Two American kids growin' up in the heartland
Jacky's gonna be a football star
Diane debutante backseat of Jacky's car
Suckin' on a chili dog outside the tastee freeze
Diane's sittin' on Jacky's lap, he's got his hands between her knees
Jacky say, "Hey Diane lets run off behind a shady tree
Dribble off those Bobby brooks, let me do what I please"

Yeah, um, we didn't get the full meaning of this one (that was a lot of songs he let us listen to). The hands 'tween the knees kinda went over our heads. But it takes me back. I still love it and I think I always will. Americana at it's finest. Okay, John Cougar is not it's finest. But close, yeah? [The Boss is it's finest, for what it's worth.]

17. Jackie Wilson Said- Done Again
Jackie Wilson said
"It was, Reet-Petite"
Kinda love you got
Knock me off my feet
Let it all hang out
Oh, let it all hang out
And you know
I'm so wired up
Don't need no coffee
In my cup...
I'm in Heaven, I'm in Heaven

I'm in Heaven

When you smile, when you smile

When you smile, when you smile


Last one from this segment. So catchy and fun. Sadly, I couldn't find the Van Morrison version on Spotify. 


18. Tell the World- Eric Hutchinson 
Let's tell the world all the things we've done
Falling in love in the setting sun
I got a song and a smile so bright
I'll make you wish you were here tonight
All of the places we ever go
feel familiar, I'm never alone
All of the people that I don't know
Will be looking me up when they call me home.


Found this via Megan and oh my gosh, LOVE it. 

Ahh, I love to sit and relax and enjoy the sounds of Summer! 

No comments: