Saturday, June 14, 2014

Weekly Smorgasbord

Here's a few links from this week:


On Faith:
Posted: 10 Jun 2014 06:46 AM PDT
"First, when I say that my material fortune is the result of God's blessing, it reduces The Almighty to some sort of sky-bound, wish-granting fairy who spends his days randomly bestowing cars and cash upon his followers. I can't help but draw parallels to how I handed out M&M's to my own kids when they followed my directions and chose to poop in the toilet rather than in their pants. Sure, God wants us to continually seek His will, and it's for our own good. But positive reinforcement? God is not a behavioral psychologist. Second, and more importantly, calling myself blessed because of material good fortune is just plain wrong. For starters, it can be offensive to the hundreds of millions of Christians in the world who live on less than $10 per day. You read that right. Hundreds of millions who receive a single-digit dollar "blessing" per day...I have a sneaking suspicion verses 12a 12b and 12c were omitted from the text. That's where the disciples responded by saying: 12a Waitest thou for one second, Lord. What about "blessed art thou comfortable," or 12b "blessed art thou which havest good jobs, a modest house in the suburbs, and a yearly vacation to the Florida Gulf Coast?" 12c And Jesus said unto them, "Apologies, my brothers, but those did not maketh the cut."

I really like this perspective a lot. 

On Parenting:
Posted: 10 Jun 2014 06:46 AM PDT
Interesting. And, honestly, if you have children, these are good tips weather you consider yourself  "highly sensitive" or not.


Posted: 10 Jun 2014 06:44 AM PDT
"From what I understand, when I was a baby and Dad was still around, my mother was a stay-at-home mom. She raised children in a different era, when the obligations of child-rearing fell squarely on the mother. She's a baby boomer, raised in Provo, Utah. I have to assume that she was sheltered from the feminist movement — or perhaps she sheltered herself from it. Maybe she found it dangerous. I don't really know. But what I do know is that raising a family in 2014 takes a lot of long hours outside the home, and being parents means seizing any opportunity to be with your children, even if those opportunities are in the middle of the night." This is really great. I hope more dads follow this guy's example. That said, I agree with the commenter that said there's no one hundred percent right way. Peyton didn't get up with our babies much when they were tiny. But I was nursing and I could usually catch up with a nap the next day. Also, and I don't mean this to sound ugly to the guy (he sounds like a great dad), it reminded me how thankful I am that midnight isn't the only time he gets to feel like a dad to our children. It is a strange schedule (and sometimes a hard one), but I love it and I *always* tell people that when they empathize with how difficult the fifteen hour days by myself must be (which I, of course, really appreciate).

On Sex:
Posted: 12 Jun 2014 07:16 AM PDT
"Before my wedding night, I had been told that honeymoon sex isn't usually the best sex. I had heard that good sex takes work. I knew that it would probably be uncomfortable at first. But what nobody ever, EVER told me was that it was possible that it just might not work at all at first. On my wedding night, my mind and heart were there, but my body was locked up tighter than Maid Marian's chastity belt." 

Yep. Been there, done that. Really good article, in my opinion.


On NYC:
Posted: 10 Jun 2014 06:48 AM PDT
This is the ministry we help with in the South Bronx.
Posted: 10 Jun 2014 06:47 AM PDT
"Future anthropologists might conclude that, via the Sun, the people who called themselves Americans worshiped War and Baseball." This, Peyton Herrington, would be "tongue in cheek". But either way, SUPER interesting. Maybe we could convince Mick to visit by promoting a neat urban weather phenomenon. Ehh, probably not. But we should try to catch the July one, yes?

On Writing:
Posted: 09 Jun 2014 06:14 PM PDT
"Spotlights, whether by association or viral fame, does not a good writer make. Good writing is made in the kitchen, with the dashes and pinches, the taste-testing and stirring, ruminating and storing, aging and serving. Good writing sits and satisfies from the first bite to the last. It is a chocolate cake with a dollop of homemade ice-cream, from which only one bite is needed—because it satisfies."

So beautiful. So true. 

On Evoking a Well Known Feminist to Get Rid of Creepers:

On Belonging and Friendship:
Posted: 12 Jun 2014 08:52 PM PDT
"If you can believe it, a lot of very serious stuff happens at malls. Teenage romances fizzle and burn; elderly couples live their last breaths marching through sterile air-conditioned halls with slippery tiles; smoothies are blended for the lonely. My best friend, one of the only people who had ever accepted me for who I was at that age—a doofy, British, gap-toothed uncertainty—was telling me she was having a baby while we ate lo mein in the food court. She was eighteen and I was seventeen and we had a month until we graduated high school. I blacked out for the entire conversation, saying unhelpful things but caring so stupidly deep for her that I kept nodding emphatically. I didn't have any answers and neither did she, but we'd be okay, we'd figure it out." Just a beautiful story and thoughts.

On Bringing Home a (Soldier):

Posted: 10 Jun 2014 06:45 AM PDT
The cute redhead/former marine is a great friend from way back- he put up with so much hand holding and over the top mushiness when Peyton and I were only "friends". He's also a smart man- we shouldn't have left Bergdahl there, but we probably could have figured out another way



Enjoy!

No comments: