Monday, June 30, 2014

What I'm Into: June



Lots to share this month! 

On the Nightstand:
 

Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions by Brennan Manning 

I actually didn't read this enough at all. 


Immersion Bible Study: Psalms- J. Clinton McCann
I finished it and got a new study to start! Learning more about the Psalms was really good and it had a big focus on the area of justice which I haven't thought much about being a big theme in the Psalms. I enjoyed it, though it lacked at times. 

Real Sex- Lauren Winner
I have loved this. I'm super close to the end and I plan to finish it this week. 
Lauren Winner on two different messages on sexuality that pervade our culture. For what it's worth, I'm not sure I've ever struggled with the former but I struggle often with the latter. Encouraged that someone put words to it.
On Their Nightstand: 
We've been reading a lot about cities and neighborhoods and even our beloved borough. The bottom two books are about Harlem and we LOVED them. Sugar Hill is really catchy and introduces a lot of famous people from the area. Uptown is more about daily life and it's beautiful, too. In Lucia's Neighborhood is a fun potrait of life in a place like Brooklyn and Urban Animals was so interesting to Ann Peyton. Now she's always on the lookout for animals carved in the stone of various buildings. B is for Brooklyn may be my favorite, though. It's an alphabet book and it captures so many of the cool things here. 

On the Shelf:
Finding My Way Home: Pathways to Life and the Spirit- Henri Nouwen 
Um, for real, though this time. 



On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther's Heidelberg Disputation, 1518 

Our pastor at one of the churches we're attending here recommended this to Peyton and I decided I wanted to read it, too. 

At the Theater (or from the couch):
We watched more than we have in ages!


Beasts of the Southern Wild- This was poignant and beautifully made. It had so many huge themes about freedom and identity and I felt like it was a nuanced look at a (fictional) community living in poverty. It's literally one of our favorite movies now.

Cloud Atlas- We enjoyed it, but it wasn't the best thing ever. In fact, for the amount of time it required (it's a long movie), I'm not sure it was worth it. It's basically a movie with a ton of different story lines going on all at the same time. These different plots are somewhat interwoven and take place in different areas and eras. It was fascinating and I enjoyed it, but as I said it was long and it was a little too sci-fi for me (meaning it had some sci-fi elements- that's just not my thing). 

Tiny- This is a documentary we watched about people who live in tiny houses. Like under 200 square feet. I found it very interesting and I love the idea of simplifying. That said, I think with a couple of kids 800ish is ideal. The film was interesting because towards the end it validated that- it said that this was a movement not just for people in extreme tiny houses, but people downsizing from 4,000 to 2,000 square feet as well.  

On the Small Screen:
I finished season two of The West Wing and Peyton and I watched The Wonder Years a bit together. 

In My Ears:
I'm loving the June list. I decided to go with a Summer theme. 


Also, I'm LOVING these guys:
"Come to me, walk with me, learn the rhythms of my grace. Come to me, I am all you need, learn to rest even when you are awake." I love the style of music, but more than that this is EXACTLY the background soundtrack I want as I try to express the Gospel to my very young, very restless (and in Annie's case, sometimes very over-burdened) children. And honestly, it's a soundtrack I need to hear myself most days.

Around the House:
Honestly, not a lot. We did go to Target and get some fans. 
Fan six inches from my face because I think our apartment is the hottest place in Brooklyn.

We got two box fans- one got the den and one to put right outside the gate to the kids' room at night (nobody trusts Graves to not stick his finger in it and get it sliced by the blades). However, this little retro looking mini fan in the guest room is my fave

In the Kitchen:
I've actually been doing better about cooking!
Comfort food! 

This pasta salad is nice and light for Summer and is full of veggies (asparagus and red peppers). 

Someone on Instagram asked me what I fixed when I didn't fix a "real supper" since I mentioned I'm not always great at that. (Trader Joe's chicken salad on a fluffy roll, carrots and hummus, and leftover potatoes with butter and Parmesan; quesadillas, carrots, berries, asparagus and pretzel twists; and TJ's veggie lasagna for myself; the kids; and Peyton, respectively.)

I was obsessed with egg salad last Summer and this Summer is no different. I just try to always have a bathc made up. 


These cherries are delicious. I'm trying to eat more fresh stuff and the amazing produce makes it easier! 

Obviously this is not fresh nor is it from my kitchen. But I was so excited that i found me a sno cone in Brooklyn. The dude shaved the ice in front of me, right there on Myrtle Ave.

In My Closet:
Patchwork Chucks and a top that's embroidered and has buttons sewn on it. I'm wondering if next year when I'm thirty I'll feel like I've aged out of this look. Hope not.

In Their Closets:

First of all, BATHING SUITS. Annie's obsessed with them matching, which is so incredibly cute to me.

Also, I'm enjoying dressing them little for as long as I can. Bubbles and cross back tops? Of course! 



I've mentioned it before, but I love rompers. They've turned into Ann Peyton's go to playground attire. They're easy and don't show her panties and they are casual but don't look grubby. 

I'm really trying to make the most of this last Summer in bubbles for Graves. I remember thinking this was awfully funky, but it's perfect for BK! 

I've stopped mandating smocking every Sunday for Annie. [She still loves it, but she has so many other cute things and we don't have many places to go up here where she'd wear them.] I love the little number in the first picture- the bright colors and retro feel. And in the second, what could be more appropriate for a Brooklyn baby than a hipster motif? Haha!


Last thing, just because it's so funny. I've mentioned before that Annie loves to wear my nightgowns now that it's hot. This is probably TMI, but it's too funny *not* to share. Y'all...this is the nightgown that I wore the night Peyton and I got married. Our WEDDING NIGHT, guys. I was so nervous and awkward and generally TERRIFIED OUT OF MY MIND that purple bubbly hearts were legitimately the best I could do.

In My Mailbox:
Those Rain for Roots cds were my favorite delivery this month! 

In My Cart:
I actually got this bag back in May when I was spending a couple of nights in Manhattan with my friends and wanting a cross body bag for Midtown (muggings). I wanted something big enough for my camera, umbrella, ect plus all my normal junk that was still manageable. I saw several others I liked, but they were brighter and more of a trendy style and I decided I wanted something fun but more traditional. Anyway, it's become my go-to diaper bag, snack stasher, purse, and all purpose bag. I even started using it to take my detergent and other supplies down to the laundry room!



On My Heart:
I've been thinking about Annie so much lately and how very similar she is to me. That's hard because I see her struggling with fear and anxiety already, but I also see her have a great depth of understanding about things and I see her sensitive spirit and I know it can be used for good. 

In My Prayers:
- I'm praying for the different communities we've become a part of and what our continued place in those groups are. 

- I'm praying for friends back home- so many different things going on and I want to be diligent even though we're far apart. 

On the Calendar: 
- We have a pretty laid back July. Annie's doing a little dance camp on Tuesdays and we're going to try to make it to the pools some. At the end of the month, our sweet favorite babysitter from home is coming for a week. She'll get to see the city and Peyton and I will have some time to sneak away by ourselves! 

As always, I'm linking up with Leigh. Go check out some other What I'm Into posts!

2 comments:

Bech and Marley Evans said...

We LOVE "Beasts of the Southern Wild!"

Leigh Kramer said...

Tiny sounds like an interesting documentary. I don't think I could live in a place that small!