Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Weekly Smorgasbord

Here's this week's links. Not a huge list, but some good ones!

On Fear and Anxiety:
Posted: 14 Jul 2014 11:52 PM PDT
""It's really your ugly pride that makes you afraid. Just bow in humility — and you'll rise up in courage." His voice comes gentle, immediately, a grace caress for the angst-twisted. I exhale this long slow release. Bow in humility … I whisper that comfort to the pale face reflected in the mirror. Is it pride and appearances that box our lives up small and afraid? Who dares explore, risk, attempt, when terrified to play the fool?" 

This is such an interesting perspective, one I've not given much thought to. I do think some of the "not getting out" for me can totally be boiled down to pride. Sure some of it is just that it takes to much energy and there's a side of me that's an introvert and loves home. But part of it? Is this. When someone criticized me about my kid not wearing a hat when he was an infant and when someone else did the same about his inadequate Winter attire up here, I thought both times "This is why I HATE getting out". A couple of years ago, I would never take the kids in the double stroller into a department store because I was so scared of what they would do and subsequently what people would say. And here, one of the things I hated most about the bus and the train was the fear I had every time that someone would say "You really don't look like you're handling this well. You just need to stay home". 

Guys? Pride and appearances.
On the South:
Posted: 14 Jul 2014 11:54 PM PDT
Perhaps it's time we recognize that being a pretentious jerk is unhelpful and does nothing to actually alleviate poverty.
Posted: 14 Jul 2014 11:49 PM PDT
This is beautiful. She has an hour long commute and has worked at The Elite for twenty years. And she knows 90% of her customers by name.

On Kids and Technology:
Posted: 14 Jul 2014 11:50 PM PDT
"We left the boxes in the village. Closed. Taped shut. No instruction, no human being. I thought, the kids will play with the boxes! Within four minutes, one kid not only opened the box, but found the on/off switch. He'd never seen an on/off switch. He powered it up. Within five days, they were using 47 apps per child per day. Within two weeks, they were singing ABC songs [in English] in the village. And within five months, they had hacked Android. Some idiot in our organization or in the Media Lab had disabled the camera! And they figured out it had a camera, and they hacked Android." Amazing!
On Insurance and Breast Pumps:
Posted: 14 Jul 2014 11:48 PM PDT
Y'all, a single manual breast pump is pretty insufficient for most women who work outside the home. Would you consider signing this petition?

On Cool Things to Do with Toys:
Posted: 15 Jul 2014 05:33 PM PDT
Gotta love creative people and legos.


Enjoy!

No comments: