Sunday, August 17, 2014

Weekly Happenings Post #281 (August 11-17)-- Brooklyn Bridge Park Day, Coney Island Round Three, and Clinton Hill Summer Block Party

I missed the memo we were doing a goofy picture again! 

Whew, what a PERFECT Summer week. Coney Island, a FULL afternoon at Brooklyn Bridge Park (all five playgrounds!) and our own neighborhood's street party. Reality is setting in and I know Summer is quickly fading away, so it felt good to have such a great week outside under the Brooklyn sun (and moon in the case of Coney Island). 

 We really got back into our normal routine on Monday. The kids got up and I fixed them breakfast and we watched their shows. I took my bath, got on the computer, ate breakfast, and planned school for the day. We played and then did their devotion and catechism and cleaned up. I fixed lunch and they ate while I did dishes and swept and mopped the kitchen floor. I put Graves down, but he never fell asleep. I got on the computer and ate lunch and did school with Annie.

When we finished, I got Graves up and we headed to the playground. They played in the sprinkler for a good while and I visited with another mom. We came home and read our Five in a Row book and did Graves's critical thinking and then I fed them supper. I bathed them and talked to my mom on the phone and put them to bed. I picked up, did dishes, and swept in the den and then I got on computer until Peyton got home. We ate and watched TV and both fell asleep on the couch. I got up HOURS later and sent a couple of emails, finished a post, started a post, put pictures on Facebook, and messaged a friend on FB. I went back to sleep again and woke up and chatted with Peyton and then snoozed a bit. Such a WEIRD night.

Tuesday was a fun day. Peyton was off and I got up before nine so I could get a bath because they were supposed to be working on pipes in the building starting at nine. We all had breakfast and got ready and headed to the Natural History Museum. It was a dreary day so it was pretty crowded. We had a good time, though. We packed a lunch and ate it and explored the museum a bit more and then headed home.
Watching the rain fall at the Museum of Natural History...

We got off the G and onto an A train going to the Natural History Museum. Annie said "Oh, we'll have to change to a C; the A doesn't stop at the museum!". Then she clarified that a B would work, too. Peyton explained to her what an express/local trains are (i.e. express trains run faster by not making as many stops). Without looking at a map, she said "The D is express, too". Sure enough, there it is running along the same line as the B. It's not train we've ever taken and I had to check the map to know myself! She's so obsessed!

We stopped at a playground to play even though it was wet. When we got home, the kids played and Peyton read and I took a short nap. I ate something and Peyton and the kids baked muffins from scratch and he had to go buy some cupcake liner things. He couldn't find any and he went to FIVE stores. We worked puzzles and played. He came back with Pam and they finished up. They ate super and Peyton got them ready for bed. I did some laundry and folded another couple of loads from a few days back. Peyton and I talked and then I got on the computer. He fell asleep and I scooped liter, did a bunch of dishes, and swept and mopped. I put up some laundry and got ready for bed.
Peyton made blueberry muffins from scratch with the children (because that's the kinda dad he is). They are amazing. And I'm eating them in bed at midnight (because that's the kinda girl I am).

The kids slept pretty late on Wednesday. They got up and I fixed them breakfast and then we watched their shows. I folded up the sofa, planned the school day, got on the computer, ate breakfast and took my bath. I also browned a roast and then put it in the crock pot. I played with them some and then we read and did their devotion and catechism. We cleaned up and they had lunch.
"I be Annie and she be Baby Graves." FWIW, he does wear the black tutu pretty frequently when he pretends to be "Wicked Witch". 

I put Graves down, but he didn't fall asleep. I was kind of glad because it was late. He stayed in his room for awhile and I got on the computer, ate lunch and did school with Annie. A cat had teeteed on the guest bed the day before (UGH!) and I really wanted to wash the bedding so when Graves got up, we headed down to start laundry. We came back up and did some joint school stuff and then changed it over to the dryer.
Graves's Slow and Steady activity for the week was taping tiny household objects to a piece of paper and discussing them. It helps develop freedom of choice, creativity, awareness of texture, eye-hand coordination, and language skills among other things. 

The kids ate supper and then we headed back down a final time to get the laundry. I put the bedding back on the bed and bathed the kids and got them in bed. I started mine and Peyton's sides (cabbage and new potatoes) and started a post. Peyton got home and we ate and talked and then I sent an email and finished the post.

Thursday was so much fun. We had a slow relaxing morning and then we got ready and headed to Brooklyn Bridge Park. We had the best time!
Annie's intense love for all things Native American means this is her favorite hair style. Sidenote: last time at the museum we saw a replica of a house that seven different families would live in. I said "Annie, does that sound like fun to live in a house with SIX other families?" She said "Well, that's one way to make a lot of friends!".

And then  this crazy guy called me....DenDogg. I got this adorable (ahem) nickname from a group of JNCO wearing, metal listening, foul talking misfit boys who I loved more than life itself during most of junior high and high school. As one of these people continued on in my life in the years following, Peyton picked it up and very occasionally uses it to be funny. Hilarious that Graves found it fitting.

We literally went to five different playgrounds. First we hit up the Water Lab:
So much (free!) fun! 

City oasis! 

She's so brave. I think she lives to climb as much as I did!

I genuinely thing it was one of the best days of her life. 

Next we headed to "Slide Mountain"....
Can you spot the babies?

Tiny boy, giant slide.

Tiny girl, (different) giant slide. 

My favorite little (boy) monkey!
And then "Sandbox Village"...
This was Annie's favorite...

and I think it was this guy's, too! 

We also did "Swing Valley" (but it was crowded and the least impressive) and the pirate ship.

We stopped at Shake Shack on the way home and then ran by Target. Peyton bathed the kids and I read to them and put them to bed. I talked to my mom, emailed a friend, and read some articles online.

We had a pretty chill day on Friday. Peyton and I chatted and then I went back to sleep. The kids and I got up late, ate breakfast, and got ready for the day. We sort of lazed around awhile- read to the kids some, that kind of thing. We had lunch and then Annie and I headed to Soho to pick up some Fall stuff at American Apparel while the boys stayed home and waited for someone to come fix our tub drain.
Annie with her map of the neighborhood. She really does know how to navigate Clinton Hill better than I do, embarrassingly. 

We went to the outlet in Soho and the regular one and then to the one in TriBeCa and couldn't find what we were looking for. We came home and recharged and then all got ready and headed to Coney Island.
We are getting REAL predictable in our old age

Fireworks on the beach!

Since we go every week, they pick one ride. Last week was fire trucks!! 

We got home late and put the kids to bed. I got on the computer.
Happens every time...before we even get to the first stop on the train. Annie, on the other hand, wants second supper when we get home at midnight.

Saturday morning was SO nice. The kids slept until TEN and then I lazed around until eleven. I got my shower and had breakfast and cleaned out the kitty closet and picked up around the house.
In one of her most generous moments to date, Annie let Graves sit and watch her beloved jewelry box ballerina spin. I usually discourage it myself, but she's been saying he can if she's "watching him"". I heard her say "We are NOT going to put on this jewelry. It's very special jewelry and I don't want us losing or breaking it". I'll never get tired of watching them interact.

A little family portrait- SD, Peyton, Graves, and AP. And Darth and General floating in the air. 

I cleaned the bathtub and put up the stroller from the night before and then took the kids' monthly pictures.

We got ready and headed outside to the block party.
Brooklyn block party. As I said recently, this was one of the things that sold us on the neighborhood. Today, for the first time, we ran into one if the families we talked to last August. It was so surreal and such a neat moment. 

Truck Ride

Summer in the city. The quintessential urban children picture. Feels like something from yesteryear. I'll treasure it always. 

Goofy guy. Whose hair is growing, praise God.

We stayed for hours and then Peyton walked down the block and bought fish from the fish market and some stain remover from Walgreens. I went upstairs and cooked while Peyton played some more with the kids. I did dishes and then they came up and we all ate. I started laundry and was sweeping and wiping the table when we discovered this:
This was at nine and we decided we wanted to go try to catch it. So we knew we had about twenty five minutes total (it takes fifteen to walk there quickly). The kids were already in their room going to bed but we snatched them up and got ourselves dressed really fast and rushed down to the train station. Too bad it was FRIDAY night.

We grabbed the kids up (Peyton had bathed them and put them to bed) and hustled and got ready and headed down to the train station. We waited through three trains and then I ran up and checked on my phone (no service in the station) and discovered it was the day before! Ugh. We came home and I put my laundry in the dryer and Peyton took the kids to Mr. Coco's for a treat. We let them have it and then put them to bed. I got my laundry and we watched the news.

I got on the computer and sent an email while Peyton researched some stuff and then I started a blog post. We stayed up way too late.

There was rain in the forecast for Sunday morning and I woke up with a headache. I probably would have gotten the kids up and got ready but the thought of the buses/bus stops and walking a quarter of a mile really didn't do much for me. I've always said that I was going to try to do the two church thing and give it my best go (right now Calvary-Saint G's evening service is on Summer hiatus), but with weather stuff I just give myself grace. Annie was MAD and especially so when it really didn't rain. Anyway, I fixed the kids breakfast when they got up (around nine) and scooped liter then. We watched their shows and then I took a shower and got on the computer for a bit. We cleaned up their room and they colored some and then I fixed them lunch. I washed some dishes and put Graves down. He took a great nap and I ate lunch, uploaded pictures and took one, too. When he got up he and Annie played and I put up a lot of laundry. I fixed them supper and picked up around the house. We played and then I got them ready for bed. Peyton got home and he read to them and then we talked some. I worked on a blog post and got ready for bed.

This week is going to be great because MINNIE IS COMING. I'm so excited I can't stand it!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I LOVE Annie's big pink bow! I wish it was socially acceptable for adults to wear hair bows because I would be all over that!