Sunday, October 19, 2014

31 Days to Write True: For the Rest of His Life



I have to share a really special memory from the wedding. One of the most special moments of the night was seeing the groom sitting at a table visiting and motioning for his mom to sit on his lap. They snuggled a little and it was such a precious moment between the two of them. 

A couple of years ago when my little guy was still a baby, I had a conversation with some friends about that stupid saying "a son is a son until he takes a wife; a daughter is a daughter for the rest of her life. Honestly, I felt sick at my stomach. It devastated me to think that one day Graves and I might not be particularly close, but I knew that wasn't uncommon. So often I think little boys love their mommas with this amazing, unique, different kind of love but as they grow up things change, particularly when important new women appear on the scene. So I grieved a bit thinking about the future.

I'm so thankful I got to witness that sweet moment with Conrad and his momma. It showed me that such distance wasn't an inevitable fate. 

I promise "Write True" hasn't turned into "Big Feelings from Cookie's Wedding", but I had no idea how deeply meaningful it would all be and it's been special to process that fully over the past week. 


Anyway, I think this MAY be the last wedding post. 

No comments: