Thursday, November 20, 2014

Weekly Happenings Post #294 (November 10-16)-- First Fall Freeze

It's gotten CHILLY. No snow yet, but it's been bitterly cold. It's dropped below thirty several times and we're all getting back in the habit of wearing multiple layers.

Monday was nice. The kids got up and we watched their shows and had breakfast. Then I got busy. I did my usual routine (bath, computer, breakfast, folding up the couch, scooping liter) but I also folded up the stroller and hung up a bunch of coats, straightened the kitchen, put up some laundry, and did dishes. It took about two and a half hours instead of one and a half. The kids played SO well! We did their catechism and devotion and then picked up and then I fixed them lunch after we played a little. Graves had rest time and I ate my lunch and got on the computer. I did school with Annie and then got Graves up. We did Annie's math and some critical thinking and cutting for Graves. I got their supper ready and they ate and I read to them.

I got on the computer until Peyton got home and we ate supper and watched The Wonder Years and I folded a bunch of laundry. I got on the computer again and did my Bible study. We chatted and went to bed WAY too late.

Tuesday was a fun day. The kids got up and I slept a little late and then got my bath and scooped liter and folded up the couch. Peyton headed to Target and I swept and straightened and ate breakfast. He got back and hauled some stuff to the storage unit and I bathed the kids and folded more laundry. I straightened some more and got us all ready because a friend was coming over to take some pictures. Suzy arrived and we headed out to the park. We had a great time and ended up staying out awhile and getting some good shots. We got home and I uploaded the pictures while she visited with Peyton and the kids some more.

Peyton walked her out and ran to the store and I started cooking soup for dinner because we were having company. The kids played with kinetic sand and I straightened some more (the apartment was a wreck) and finished the soup. Peyton got home with the stuff for a salad and worked on that and I started helping the kids clean their room. It was no use. I gave up and helped Peyton with the salad and Adam got here. We had a wonderful night and enjoyed the company so much. He left around ten and we put the kids right to bed. Peyton and I talked some and I got on the computer for a bit.

The kids slept a little late on Wednesday. We got up and watched their shows and had breakfast and then I planned school, ate breakfast, got my bath, and folded up the couch and scooped liter. I played with them and we did their catechism and devotion and then I helped them clean up their room. They ate lunch and then we ran to the bank to deposit a check for our land lady. We got home and Graves rested and I got on the computer and then did English with Annie. We got Graves up (he never slept) and did math and then we did our Five in a Row book (it's been awhile!), some critical thinking, a little activity and some cutting. I fixed them supper and they ate and I did a bunch of dishes. I got them to bed and called my mom and got on the computer. Peyton got home and we talked and then I got back on the computer and finished a post.

Thursday was a good day. The kids got up and we watched their shows and had breakfast. I hustled through my morning stuff (scooping liter, folding up the couch, planning school, and breakfast) and got my bath. Then I played with them a little and we did their devotion and catechsim. We read some and then picked up toys.
This is "Early", a friend we took from Cookie's massive Beanie Baby collection. AP told me that he likes to eat at a restaurant called "Worm Puddle Square". They soak the worms in puddles because, you know, if they're left in the sun they dry out and die. 

FYI, she also runs a pet shop especially for lost animals. She said one of the things she "spends time on" is walking the animals before she takes them to the store so they won't be as scared without their owners. The shy ones have a really hard time, though. HSP right here, folks. 

They had lunch and I did dishes and put Graves down. I got on the computer and had my lunch and did English with Annie. We got ready and all headed to ballet. It went by quickly and a sweet lady complimented me on how patient Graves was.
I decided to try the stroller for ballet today since there were no connections (not as many stairs as a lot of trips). Verdict: it makes me way more nervous on the stairs, it's about equal in stress to my body (those stair trips aren't easy, but it's obviously less work overall), but it's way faster. We did miss a train I know we would have made had I been able to fly down the stairs like I can when I wear him, but the trade off is that the wait time on the platform for the next one was exponentially more manageable. I am thankful for a fifteen dollar stroller and a two hundred dollar carrier that both do their job really well. It's clearly a mixed bag and something I'll just need to evaluate case by case. Until May. Then I'm strapping him in his carseat, blasting Springsteen in the Buick, and stopping for a Sonic drink. Oh wait....maybe just Kool Aid from my house. Either way, no more trains. 

We got home and did more school- Annie's math, some cutting for Graves, and that kind of thing.
I let Graves sit with us and play with manipulatives during math time. Now that he rarely naps, I can't make him stay in his room any longer than what it takes for me to have a break and Annie and I to do English (and I'm selfishly still clutching the me time). Anyway, last Thursday he made this and then said "Look, Momma, I made you a quadrilateral" (something I've NEVER directly talked to him about). This was such a happy moment because I'll ask him to count a group of three or more objects and he will literally look at me, hard laugh, and say "I don't know how, Momma". I'm always trying to decide if he's teasing (I think mostly), being lazy (maybe a little), being defiant (I really don't think this is that), or is slightly delayed (again, I really don't think so, but I'm prone to irrational anxiety). He amazes me sometimes. And then I feel silly, because he's an extraordinarily amazing kid.

They had supper and I read to them a good bit and got them to bed. I blogged and Peyton got home. We talked and watched TV and then I got back on the computer for a bit.

Friday was nice and relaxed. We had a slow morning. Peyton cooked pancakes! I got my bath and we all got ready and headed to Prospect Park.

We stopped back by the library and then came home. By the time we got home and played a little, it was time for the kids to eat supper. I bathed Annie (Graves had taken one that morning) and read to them and got them to bed. I did a bunch of laundry and visited with Peyton while I folded. I worked on my closet change over and then wrote a blog post.

Saturday was a fun day. We had planned to go to a TGC Home Group at a friends' house. We've meant to go before, but never made it. We knew with being in Mississippi for such a big chunk of time, we weren't going to sign up, but we had wanted to pop in. Anyway, we realized they only have two more times and so we decided not to go. I had gotten up and gotten ready, but I ended up dozing on the couch and playing/snuggling with Graves. We headed to the Children's Museum a little before lunchtime. They had a special craft time and a story time for Native American month. Annie loved it and we played a little and then headed out for a late lunch.
Storytelling at the Children's Museum. We ALL loved it. And Graves was so still and quiet! 

We had a great snack to tide us over and then came home. We relaxed and the kids played and ate supper and then we bathed them and got them to bed. Peyton and I talked and watched TV and I uploaded a bunch of pictures from October to Facebook and then went to bed.

Sunday was BUSY. We got up and headed to TGC. We were running late and almost skipped, but Annie was very adamant about going. I'm so glad we did! We left there and headed straight for the Museum of Natural History for more Native American exploration. After we saw some exhibits, did a craft, and listened to a (more adult geared) presentation.

Annie loves the replicas of their homes. Graves loves the outfits the most. Peyton likes to point out how many luxuries we have since we don't have to build underground houses for Winter. 

The kids wanted to go to the Discovery Room and on weekends they do "passes" and only a certain number of kids can come in every half hour. We got passes for the next session and  headed to the food court for a snack. It was so overpriced, but we got a bag of chips and a chocolate milk for around $5. We came back and did the Discovery Room and then headed out for a real meal. We found a sandwich place and there were so many options (it was a chain place and it was just overwhelming). I finally got something, but ended up having a bit of a meltdown. We ate and then walked across town to Calvary, which was about three miles. Whew. We went to church and it was wonderful and then stopped to get some medicine for my headache. We got home and I was so tired. We fed the kids supper and put them to bed. Annie got SO upset about something and it took hours, literally, to calm her down. I finally ate and got on the computer for a bit and went to bed.

This weeks been great so far. I'm glad to be caught up!

No comments: