Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Weekly Smorgasbord


Important, interesting, and insightful links from the past week!


On Parenting:
Posted: 29 Nov 2014 02:18 PM PST
So, we were HARDCORE with Annie until two. And then relaxed a bit after that. Graves, off course, saw it much earlier because she did. It's been interesting to see the part their personalities play in this. Graves could still not sit still for a two hour movie IF HIS LIFE DEPENDED ON IT. It's just been in the last year that he's even cared about watching a half hour show. And that's if it's one of his favorites. Annie on the other hand, would watch it all day I think, if we let her. There were times when Graves was a young toddler that I really wished it would entertain him more, despite having pretty strong convictions about it. Anyway, at this point on the days Peyton works 14 hour shifts, they watch about an hour. On the days he's off and we're out doing a ton, they hardly watch any (which is seven out of fourteen days). Annie sometimes gets to use the iPad for half an hour during naptime depending on what I need to get done/my parenting fatigue (usually the latter). Personally, I feel like it's fine as long as it's in moderation. And I am pretty intense about what they watch (basically we stream PBS shows and that's it).
I thought this was a good article overall, but I will say I think a "ban" would be unfortunate. I think it's a little much to ask the government to get involved in things like this.

Posted: 29 Nov 2014 02:15 PM PST
"As bad as it is this time of year, I feel like we expect too much of young children all year round in our culture. And when they don't meet those expectations? We often react with shame, punishment or dismissal. We tell them to calm down, be quiet, don't react, don't feel, and be happy. Why aren't you smiling? Smile, dammit! Somehow, someone telling you to be happy rarely makes you feel happy, but after a while, you probably put on a smile to avoid feeling like you aren't normal. Why do we expect our kids to feel happy or at the very least act happy, when things are happening in their lives that are stressful, sad, frustrating, scary, or disappointing?" This is so good. Lately, I've finally watched Annie come up with her own solutions in the very deepest points of sadness and anger a few times and it's been incredibly fulfilling. So often I've tried to give her tools, but I've also wondered in the back of my mind if I should stop trying to help her work through emotions and basically just say "suck it up". But I (mostly) didn't and I'm thankful for it.

On Police Shooting Unarmed Person
Posted: 24 Nov 2014 08:20 PM PST
Here we are again, sadly.

On Gentrification:
Posted: 28 Nov 2014 01:14 PM PST
News Feed Sarah Denley Herrington Just now · "The underground in New York City is the vein which produces new art, where the dancers, singers, poets, performers and other artists gather. In many ways, the halls of the subways are the catwalks of the street. What you see is usually shocking and transformative—leaving you with a sense of wonder and new possibility. And yet the very source —the artist, specifically performers— are being targeted." Interesting stuff here. Although, I do think towards the end the author probably goes a bit too far.

On Simplifying:
Posted: 28 Nov 2014 12:56 PM PST
love these ideas


Enjoy! 

No comments: