Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tunes for the Month: January





My January list is really short. I actually kind of love them that way. And it's usually my intention, but then I get carried away. Anyway, this list is perfect for me right now. I love so much secular music and it's RARE I create a playlist with nothing but Christian songs, but these all spoke to me and honestly, they are what I need right now. Good, good words. 

1. Before the Throne of God Above- Sojourn
Before the throne of God above

I have a strong and perfect plea:

A great High Priest, whose name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me...


Because the sinless Savior died,

My sinful soul is counted free;
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me

To look on Him and pardon me...
Behold Him there, the Risen Lamb

My perfect, spotless righteousness,

The great unchangeable I am,
The King of glory and of grace!


I heard this one for the first time at Calvary a few weeks ago and I loved it so much. "A great High Priest, whose name is Love"? Isn't that a perfect description. It's one I'm clinging to right now, for sure. 

2. Come and Sing- Sojourn
I will sing with the voice that is placed in my soul 
so the world will hear what He has done. 
We must sing if our hearts have been changed by our God
let the whole world know that He has come.
Come and sing with the angels to the king.
Come and bring him your song.
Come and sing with the angels to the king
Come and bring Him your own song.
I will walk through the valley but I still hear His voice
for the words of the Lord are in my heart.
I will rise in the morn with the joy that is my strength
remembering the sound of His voice.

So, I looked up this group and found a few others I loved, too. I love the part about still hearing His voice in the valley. 

3. There is a Peace- Sojourn
Come weary and tired worn out from life
Step out of the shadows and walk into the light
Come sinner or saint, slave man or free
Bring blessings and offerings then you shall see
There is a peace to settle your soul
There is a peace that is calling you home
You've been tempted and shaken tested and failed
You've been so far from Jesus and too close to hell
Your vision's been clouded by this world's delight
But I tell you you're not of this world so stand up and fight!
There is a peace to settle your soul
There is a peace that is calling you home
There is a peace perfect and true
The Prince of Peace is calling for you

I love this one about peace for the weary and tired, worn out from life. I love the image of the Prince of Peace calling. And I love the reality that there IS a peace to settle my soul.


4. Beautiful Scandalous Night- Smalltown Poets
Go on up to the mountain of mercy 
To the crimson perpetual tide 
Kneel down on the shore 
Be thirsty no more 
Go under and be purified
Follow Christ to the holy mountain 
Sinner sorry and wrecked by the fall 
Cleanse your heart and your soul 
In the fountain that flowed 
For you and for me and for all
At the wonderful, tragic, mysterious tree 
On that beautiful, scandalous night you and me 
Were atoned by His blood and forever washed white 
On that beautiful, scandalous night
On the hillside, you will be delivered 
At the foot of the cross justified 
And your spirit restored 
By the river that poured 
From our blessed Savior's side


I had this one on a list a few months ago, but I couldn't help but add it because it's one of my favorites. It's just one of the most beautiful pictures of the Gospel I've ever heard in music and it's good to really sit and think about it all sometimes.

5. The Lust, the Flesh, the Eyes, and the Pride of Life- Smalltown Poets
Well I see something and
I want it, bam, right now, no questions asked
Don't worry how much it cost me
Now or later I want it want it, babe, and I want it now
I'll go to any length
Sacrifice all I already have, and all that I might get
Just to get something more that I don't need
And Lord please don't ask me what for
The lust, 
the flesh, 
the eyes, 
and the pride of life
Drain the life right out of me



Again, I decided to look up more songs since I loved the previous one so. This was an interesting find. It's interesting for me to think on. Mainly I'm trying to think about training myself to be a different type of consumer. This may not seem spiritual, but it so is. Materialism is one of the sins I struggle most with (and one of the easiest to justify). I need more practice with this and I'm glad these next few years will bring it. 

6. No Kinder Savior- Smalltown Poets 
It's best to meet these things head on, she said
Before too much gets on your mind
Thoughts like books are piling up
Sometimes the lessons don't seem kind
The fighting feelings will get easier
The ones that make your mood stay blue
You have believed the lie for long enough
No kinder Savior comes for you
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Sing the blessings, sing them down
For the one who's ready to give up
No kinder Savior will be found
Sing a song about a higher love
That we would know it at first sight
Sing it loud and long enough
He could make it real tonight
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Sing the blessings, sing them down
For the one who's ready to give up
No kinder Savior will be found
There are few who want this narrow door
Most seekers seek a broader pass
Hoping somehow they are living up
To what any god would ask
And longing for a kinder Savior
From the tyranny of days
There already is a Savior
Yeah, He already leads the way
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Sing the blessings, sing them down
For the one who's ready to give up
No kinder Savior will be found

Oh man, this was just beautiful. The blood mood and all that, it resonated. And I love the lines about singing it loud and long enough and He could make it real. Sometimes we have to sing loud...and long...even when it doesn't feel real. 

7. Fishers of Men- Rhonda Vincent

Peter, John, and James
Could never be the same
After they heard him say
I'll make you fishers of men.
He said, Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.
He said, Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.
Jesus bore the cross
To gather in the lost
Oh what a mighty cost
To set us free from sin.
He said, Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.
He said, Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.

Heard this one last week at Calvary last week and had to rush home to look it up. I LOVE the tune. It's a new favorite. There's something very simple about it, but it almost brings me to tears. I'LL MAKE YOUR WORTHY. Not better. Not without guilt. WORTHY. Wow. And then He makes us fishers of men. Which is an image I've always loved.

8. 10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)- Matt Redman
 The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

An old favorite that felt perfect here. 


So that's it! Only eight, but it's the perfect eight, I think. 






1 comment:

Mallory Pickering said...

I haven't heard Smalltown Poets since like the late 90s. Is this new stuff from them? I remember liking the song "Anything Genuine" as a teenager.