Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Weekly Happenings Post #301 (December 29-January 4)-- Ringing in the New Year with Runny Noses and Hacking Coughs



We spent a good bit of last week sick. Nothing terrible I don't think (none of us have been to the doctor), but a lingering cough/cold. We did a few things, but we mostly laid low!

The kids woke up really late again on Monday. Peyton didn't have to go in to work until that afternoon, so we had a low key morning. We had breakfast and I took my bath and started my morning chores while Peyton did some bills and stuff and the kids played. He left and I finished planning school. I also reorganized my dresser because it needed it BAD. I played with he kids and read to them and we did most of our morning school stuff (devotion and catechism- they had done their memory work for Peyton). They ate lunch and I did dishes. Graves rested and Annie played and I got on the computer. I did school with her- we actually did math because it was pretty long and involved and we just played two games for English when Graves got up. I fixed them supper and they ate and I read to them and got them to bed at a reasonable time. Graves fell asleep pretty fast, but poor Annie! I thought she was asleep, too, but I checked on them two hours later and she was sitting by the door reading. I just flipped on the light and told her she could get in bed and that I didn't want her straining her eyes.

Peyton got home and we talked and ate supper. I fell asleep in front of the TV, but then got up and worked on a blog post.

Peyton was feeling terrible on Tuesday and thankfully he was off. We had had a big day planned, but everyone felt somewhat sick. I had taken my bath and eaten breakfast and gotten ready, so we decided to go to the neighborhood park. It was cold, but the kids had fun. We got home and I fed the kids lunch and Peyton fell asleep. He slept most of the afternoon and I wasted too much time on the computer. The kids played with the iPad and then I read to them and after that they did play dough. I was pretty tired. I did the dishes and Peyton got up and we talked and then I bathed the kids. I fed the supper and got them to bed. I called my mom and ate my supper and finished a post and wen to bed myself.

Wednesday was New Year's Eve and Peyton had to work. He was feeling horrible, but luckily he got off at eight. Eight to eight is a short day for him. Poor guy! Anyway, the kids and I got up and watched their shows (plus an extra one!) and ate breakfast and then they played while I scooped liter, folded up the couch, planned school, and had my breakfast. I got on the computer and took a bath and then played with them and read to them. We did our morning school and they ate lunch. I felt pretty crummy at that point and I laid down most of Graves's naptime. I decided not to do school with Annie. I never fell asleep, though.
Annie: "I went to check on Graves and I think he was so tired and so sick he actually fell asleep during his naptime." I wasn't thrilled since it was inching close to five o'clock and I was really hoping for an early bedtime because I felt so lousy myself. I told Annie we weren't doing any more school that day and she didn't have to clean her room before supper. She suggested watching the Charlie Brown Christmas movie and I decided that was exactly what we'd do.

 I got up when Graves did and we played and I fixed the kids supper and they watched a movie. I worked on my slideshow. I had already made one, but because of music right, I couldn't upload it to Facebook or Vimeo. Peyton got home and we got the kids to bed and I finished working on the slideshow and got it uploaded. That little boy that was "so tired and so sick"? I discovered him with Vasaline half way up his back because "his booty hurt". I cleaned him up and left him in his room playing dress up with his sandals from last Summer and "riding" a horse purse of Annie's.

I got to bed at a reasonable time (ironic since it was NYE), but I had a hard time falling asleep and then I slept HORRIBLY. I'm not sure if it was because I couldn't breath well or what.
It's about to get real on Timehop. This time last year I was on the precipice of the most terrifying thing I'd ever done in my life.

When I woke up on Thursday, I had a terrible tooth ache. Peyton said it could be sinus related. I was so relieved it wasn't a spontaneous cavity or something. I didn't want to try to find a dentist in Brooklyn and I really didn't when we were all sick. I had gotten up with Peyton because of my tooth and I helped him fix his lunch and get out and then went back to bed. The kids got up late and we had a super low key morning. I did my morning chores and got on the computer briefly and took my bath, but drying my hair made me feel exhausted. I played with the kids a bit and then fed them lunch and got Graves down. I took a long nap and when they got up we just did puzzles and watched another movie until Peyton got home. We fixed them supper and got them to bed and I did some laundry. I folded it while we watched a movie. I got on the computer for awhile and then we chatted. It was really late when we went to bed.

The kids slept pretty late on Friday and I got up and felt better BUT I had a terrible earache. Ugh. Peyton said sinus infections can cause that, too. Anyway, we had gotten a movie in for the kids so we all watched it and had breakfast. We were going to try to go to the museum and I was getting in the bath to get ready and Annie said she was just too tired and felt to bad. She was honestly the one in the best shape at that point and the more we thought about it, the more it seemed like a bad idea to ride the train forty five minutes into the city and deal with museum crowds and kids that were out of school and such. We ended up staying home all day again. Peyton and I talked some about the move back to Mississippi and we played with the kids. I ended up doing math and English with Annie during the afternoon and then we cooked supper (spaghetti with sauce from a jar). We bathed the kids and got them to bed and I got on the computer for a bit. Poor Annie said HER ear was hurting and we gave her some medicine and she finally got to sleep. I did a few things on the computer and talked to Peyton and went to bed.

I woke up feeling MUCH better on Saturday. I actually woke up before the kids with Peyton. We listened to an episode of This American Life. The kids got up and we played and I took a bath and got ready and then we got the kids ready and headed to the Natural History Museum. There were a couple of specific things we wanted to see- an origami Christmas tree and a flying dinosaur exhibit. We got in both, plus a couple of other things!
How awesome is the origami tree??

pterosaurs!!!!


"Lonesome George"- he was the last of his species and died recently, for a time he was known as "the rarest creature in the world" and he's sort of a symbol for conservation efforts 

They wanted to know if it's called a crane because it's so tall like "the other crane"...city kids ;)

We left to come home around five thirty. When we got home, we decided to start cooking dinner. We didn't have everything we needed, though, which was frustrating and ended up causing some tension :) Peyton just feed the kids fruit and veggies and then cooked some vegtables for us. We got the kids to bed and ate and then I got on the computer for awhile. We chatted and went to bed.

Peyton helped with childcare at TGC on Sunday but I kept the kids home because we didn't want to put them in childcare with them still being a little sniffly. Peyton got home not too long after they got up and we all had lunch and I folded up the couch and did some dishes. The kids room hadn't been cleaned in probably a week because of being sick and they worked on it (by themselves!) for a couple of hours. I took my bath and talked to Peyton and got on the computer a bit. I ate a snack and Peyton realized we were both supposed to usher at CSG that night. We hurried and got ready and headed there. The service was great, but we didn't stay after for cookies and fellowship because we didn't want anyone getting our germs. We ended up stopping at SmashBurger on the way home instead. When we got home, we fed the kids a little more (they just had fries and a shake to split) and got them to bed. Peyton fell asleep early too and I booked some flights for Cookie and Conrad to come visit and registered for Mockingbird. I wrote a post and did a few other things.

Whew! I think we're on the mend. The kids and I are doing a lot better and I think we really turned a corner (hopefully for good) today. Poor Peyton has a little bit of a ways to go to being back to 100% and I know it's not easy to recover with working his long shifts!

1 comment:

Mallory Pickering said...

It's amazing all you're able to do with them and how much initiative and "get-up-and-go" you've got. I think I would end up just lying around at home if I kept Brennan all the time. Looks like it was a productive week even while y'all were sick! Hope this week is better!