Saturday, January 31, 2015

Weekly Happenings Post #304 (January 19-25)-- A First Goodbye, A Hard Week, and a Better Place



This has been a sort of scary week. I've really looked ahead toward May and it's been a bit frightening. Letting go of this place is not going to be easy at all and it's begin to prove much more difficult than I expected. I was so emotional over that, plus some other things and it was just a hard week. Fortunately, by the weekend things started to improve and I felt better.

Peyton worked the early shift on Monday. The kids slept even later than they have been (past ten). We got up and they watched their shows and ate breakfast and then I did my morning chores, got on the computer, planned for the day and for school, and took my bath. We did their morning school stuff and read and then they had lunch and then cleaned up their room.
I gave the kids the felt I had used for our Jesse tree and they've been using it for dress up costumes for a couple of weeks. Today I walked in and Annie had made some "vines" for MonkMonk.

Graves rested and I got on the computer. Peyton got home and I did school with Annie. She was SO distracted because she wanted to play with Peyton.
Whoops. Somebody went to the Russian barber again. Nobody with a snoz that size needs a graduated hipster haircut. Fortunately I still love him and he'll be back in the capable hands of sweet hairdresser at home in just a few months.

We finished up and I cooked a couple of new dishes for supper while Peyton played with the children and gave them baths. We all ate and then got the kids ready for bed. We talked and I got on the computer for awhile and then read some.

We all got up a bit earlier on Tuesday. We ate breakfast and I got my bath and did a few things around the apartment. I did math with Annie and emailed a friend and we got ready to go to a new museum. Then we realized we needed to register for the event we had planned to go to and that it was a bit pricey. We talked about different options and ended up taking a bus to the pirate ship playground. We looked at the weather and it actually didn't seem TOO cold (40s). Ugh, it ended up feeling REALLY cold down by the piers. We walked around, but we didn't make it long. We caught a bus home and Peyton fixed pancakes for supper. He was going out with friends and he got ready and left. The kids and I played a memory game a couple of times and then I got their teeth brushed and read to them and put them to bed. I got on the computer and just wasted a bunch of time. Peyton got home and we talked and I ate the take-out he had gotten me. I finished up a post and went to bed. I had the hardest time going to sleep and then Graves woke up once and I woke up again and then Peyton woke up early and we chatted and I went back to sleep.

I woke up around nine on Wednesday because a repair man came to the door (or I would have slept later). Peyton was off and the guy was here to fix our tub. He could tell none of us were dressed or anything and said he'd be back in twenty minutes. I quickly hoped in the tub. He got here and I dried my hair and then started laundry and folded a load that I had washed days earlier. Peyton cleaned up the kitchen. I did math with Annie and worked on the laundry until it was time for Peyton to go to work. I folded another load and fixed the kids lunch. I replied to a Facebook message and then got Graves settled. Annie wanted to know if she could stay and play with him "for a special treat" since they didn't have their regular morning play time together. I said sure and I went and ate some lunch and took a nap. I didn't even get on the computer much. I got up and then Annie and I did school while Graves practiced tracing and cutting. I did English and critical thinking with Annie. They played a bit and we did memory work and then took toys to their room and I fixed them supper. They ate and I read to them and got their teeth brush. I told them a story and put them to bed. I got on the computer and Peyton got home. We watched the news and ate and then he watched a movie and I finished a post.

Thursday was difficult all around. We all slept late and then I had a really hard time getting things together and getting out the door. We did go to a really fun playground and enjoyed ourselves a good bit. Then we headed to ballet for Annie's last class and observation day.
Observation day (and last day) at Brooklyn Ballet. I'm trying to figure out why it was so emotional for me. Maybe because I loved her (Southern transplant) teacher. Maybe because she's adored it so much. Maybe because it was our first goodbye. Maybe because I'm hormonal. Whatever it is, it's been a special place. 

I have every intention of keeping this up (and starting her brother) once we get home. Hopefully we can find a wonderful place with a precious teacher in Mississippi, too. 

So focused, as always. 

It was bittersweet. I'm more and more ready to be home, but more and more sad to leave. For some reason, the goodbye to Brooklyn Ballet was much harder than I anticipated. We came home and fed the children and talked and I cried a bunch. We put the kids to bed and I blogged a bit and watched the news and went to bed. I just felt so drained.

Friday was better. Peyton was working and the kids slept super late. They had breakfast and watched their shows and then I did my chores around the apartment and planned school and the day. I got on the computer, ate breakfast, and took a bath. We did their morning school routine and cleaned up their room. It was an epic mess and it took over an hour with me helping. They ate lunch and Graves rested. I got on the computer and did math and critical thinking with AP. We got Graves up and I did English with her and some tracing practice with him. It took longer than I expected. They ate supper and then we read a good bit. I got them to bed and it was late. I got on the computer and worked on a post. Peyton got home and we talked and ate dinner and I went to bed early by my current standards.

The kids slept late on Saturday and then had breakfast and watched their shows and I realized how much I had slept. We got up LATE. They played and I took a shower and did some things and then we just played (no school- or not much- on Saturday!).
Annie has long maintained that her little Babar is a girl elephant, but now she's taken to fixing her up in baby doll panties and dress up box headbands.

I fixed them lunch and then got Graves settled. I got on the computer, ate something, and did math with Annie. Then we all got ready and headed into the city. I dropped the kids off at the rectory with a babysitter and headed to Saint George's for the Olmstead Salon. Peyton met me there.
Solo parenting my little HSP at Union Square station on a Saturday night. Urban stress, yo.

Graves saw this ad on the train and asked "why there not a Papa?". I figured this question would somehow come up living here (although, I Googled the show and if think they are actually just friends). The interesting thing to me is that I would have bet a hundred dollars it would be him to notice that other families look different from ours and not his sister.

DZ rockin' the Olmsted Salon tonight. I've been in a huge funk all week. Tonight was like a Mockingbird Preview Party- so good for my soul. Thank you, Olmstead Salon for such a wonderful night. Thank you, Melina for free childcare. And thank you, Lord, for David Zahl.

We picked up the kids afterward and headed home. It was around ten by the time we got home. We fed them a bit and got them to bed. I stayed up super late- I sent an email, cleaned up the kitchen, worked on my 2015 goals list, and read some blogs.

I got up on Sunday as Peyton was leaving. Surprisingly, the kids got up, too. I let them watch their shows and eat breakfast while I got ready. They went to Sunday school and I went to the 11:00 service. Afterwards, I stayed for The Forum and the kids played some in the nursery with a babysitter. We got home around four and they had a snack and Graves took a real nap. I did, too! I go him up finally (and Annie told me he had been sleeping with a rubberband in his mouth- OMG). They watched a Charlie Brown movie while I folded a bunch of laundry. I fixed them eggs and grits for supper and Peyton got home. We talked and then got the kids to bed. We started listening to serial and I got on the computer. I also finished my goals list.

Like I said, I felt better by the weekend and last week was much better, thankfully!

No comments: