Thursday, January 22, 2015

Weekly Smorgasbord

Here we go. A little round up of some interesting links lately:

On Faith:
Posted: 12 Jan 2015 11:05 PM PST
I am guilty of managing my experience of difficulty so my struggles don't feel wasted. In this action, I fear I've missed sacred times of healing in the darkness because I've wanted to rush ahead to the more understandable light. I have bullet-pointed my soul so that things make sense and have regarded God only as my teacher, forgetting he is also my friend. School is good and necessary, but in my heart I long for home.

Posted: 13 Jan 2015 08:50 PM PST
"The average internet-level narrative goes something like this: the earliest Christians had no clear understanding for why Jesus died on the cross and what it accomplished. The idea of a substitutionary atonement is a late invention designed to retroactively explain the (otherwise embarrassing) death of Jesus. In fact, it was not until Anselm's Cur Deus Homo (Why the God-Man?) in the middle ages that someone came up with the idea that Jesus died in place of sinners...The average internet-level narrative goes something like this: the earliest Christians had no clear understanding for why Jesus died on the cross and what it accomplished. The idea of a substitutionary atonement is a late invention designed to retroactively explain the (otherwise embarrassing) death of Jesus. In fact, it was not until Anselm's Cur Deus Homo (Why the God-Man?) in the middle ages that someone came up with the idea that Jesus died in place of sinners."

On Parenting:
Posted: 12 Jan 2015 10:01 PM PST
"If I'm trying to cultivate faithfulness, I want to make sure I'm using those words. Instead of saying, "Thank you for cleaning up your toys," I'm going to say, "Thank you for faithfully choosing to be responsible," or "Thank you for making the choice to be faithful to your job even though you didn't feel like it or it wasn't fun." It may seem awkward to use words like "faithful" and "responsible" with your little ones, but let me encourage you, our children are so much more intelligent than we give them credit. As we familiarize them with words like "faithful" and "responsible" they will better recognize when those attributes are discussed in scripture. "

On Creativity: 
Posted: 12 Jan 2015 09:45 PM PST
LOTS of good advice.

On the Ethical Treatment of Animals:
Posted: 21 Jan 2015 07:12 PM PST
This breaks my heart for these poor creatures. I love my down coat (I'm so cold natured and it actually works up here when it's in the teens) but we'll be investing in synthetic materials from here on. And while I'm going to try to keep the overarching guilt at bay because I didn't know any better, there will, I'm sure be toasty moments of true remorse knowing it likely came at a painful price. As an aside, Peyton thinks the antidote to this sort of careless consuming is to painstakingly determine where each and every item we purchase came from and exactly how it was produced. Which will, of course, make us de facto minamalists. So, win-win. Or something like that.

Posted: 21 Jan 2015 07:13 PM PST
In case you've never seen a live plucked goose or in case you're thinking I've become a big bleeding heart animals rights activist. Rest your eyes on this bird for more than a few seconds and ask yourself what a jacket or a blanket is worth to you. This is also an excellent source about the trauma feeding involved in making the "delicacy", foie gras.

On Local (Mississippi) School Clubs:
Posted: 21 Jan 2015 07:15 PM PST
Even though I don't agree with practicing homosexuality, I don't think this is really fair.

Powerful (or just funny) Quotes from the Week:
"Here’s all I think I can say about MLK this year: I believe he would make me a lot more uncomfortable than I’d like to imagine or assume." -Preston Yancey
Every time I think I’m not qualified to do something, I’m going to remember how many times Mitt Romney and Rick Perry ran for president. -anuandrea Grimes (@andreagrimes)

Powerful and Awesome Images from the Week:



Hope you enjoyed them and/or learned something new! 

No comments: