Thursday, January 29, 2015

What I'm Into: January


January! The start of something new! 

On the Nightstand:

I upped my reading game (a bit) this month. 

Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions by Brennan Manning 
I'm planning to add in another devotion (or maybe two?), but I want to keep this around another year. Maybe forever. 

Immersion Bible Study: Mathew- J. Ellsworth Kalas
I was a bit more consistent it this month.

Whose Bible Is It?: A Short History of the Scriptures- Jaroslav Pelikan
Peyton's been wanting to reading this book about how the Bible came to be. It explores it's history from oral tradition up through through the Reformation and focuses on the differences between Jewish, Catholic, and Protestant versions of the text.

A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and Young Adult Literature- Roger Sutton
I've shared before that I ADORED my Children's Lit class in college. It was absolutely one of my favorite classes in the Education Block. I saw this at the library and thought it would be fun to check out. I started it a few days ago and I'm on like page thirty and I love it. It's just an interesting topic to me and I love the writer's voice and how it proclaims up front that it's not a buyer's guide.

On Their Nightstand: 

 My sister in law started giving Annie a subscription to some really well done children's magazines several years back. We LOVED them and I swear it's one of the best ideas for a gift, especially for children who really just don't need another toy (which is the vast majority of children in America). Anyway, this year she subscribed the kids to Click. It's a nonfiction, science based periodical that is so fun and engaging and very developmentally appropriate for both the kiddos. 


On the Shelf:
One Writer's Beginnings- Eudora Welty
I'm planning to start this with my friend Mal later in the month and I'm super excited. 

At the Theater (or from the couch):
We really didn't watch anything but kid stuff and not very much of that at all.
The Land Before Time
We watched the original because both of the children are massively obsessed with dinos.  It was interesting to see both the children's reactions (of course, I was fighting back tears just like every single time I suffered through it in elementary school).  When Little Foot's momma dies she tells him she'll be with him even thought he can't see her. Graves said "will we always be able to see?" And seemed worried. Annie, who was totally zoned in, goes "we can't always see the movie; we have to send it back to Netflix". And Graves said "No, see each other". She has some Big Feelings, but in certain ways he's MUCH more sensitive. 

On the Small Screen:
Not a ton there either, this month.

In My Ears:

My January playlist is a really great one, in my humble opinion =)
Additionally, Peyton and I have been listening to more podcasts. We've caught several This American Life episodes together and he started Serial and I really want to catch up and listen together. 

Around the House:
We finally took down Christmas, but that's about all I can say. 

In the Kitchen:
We sort of fell off the wagon with Winter Soup Challenge (and with cooking in general this last week). I have tried some new recipes, the best of which being this ridiculously simple orange marmalade glazed chicken (orange marmalade- vom! but it was so good). I also made chili and some old favorites.

In My Closet:
I got these cords last year after Christmas at Old Navy for literally $7 and I wear them ALL THE TIME. Denim just isn't warm enough. The only problem is they're a pretty snug skinny jean and I can only get one pair of leggings/long underwear under them. Ha!

In Their Closets:
I'm just having to laugh at what this Winter has made of us:

Really, I do love this fishy t-shirt of Graves's from Winter Water Factory. I love the pattern as opposed to an applique or something. It feels unique and different and also a little more casual without being like a t-shirt t-shirt. Winter Water Factory is absolutely one of my favorite places to buy their stuff. It's a local business here in BK and all their stuff is fair trade. Of course, it's PRICEY. But I loved hitting up the Brooklyn Flea last Summer and buying stuff basically on clearance. 

 I think it's so funny that he's been featured more in the category the last two months because I think finding cute things for a girl is SO much easier. 

In My Mailbox:
I'm going to miss Amazon Prime so much (we got it for groceries, but never used it for that). Anyway- new four subject notebook (I like them color coded for to-dos, other lists, ect.), feelings game cards for Annie, and a new ice bag because mine Cookie gave me a few Christmases back (best present ever for a headache sufferer!) got a leak.

In My Cart:
I've used so much lotion and even straight Vasaline and nothing was working on my split thumbs and pointer finger. And poor Peyton's knuckles were cracked and bleeding. Apparently what works for boobs ravaged by an infant works for hands ravaged by the Northeast. Which does make perfect sense. 

Around the City:

Annie had her last class at Brooklyn Ballet and we got to come for Observation Day. It was a little emotional, to be honest.

Peyton and I also saw a show!!! A (very generous) co-worker gave us Broadway tickets and I was searching for a babysitter until the LAST MINUTE. But we worked it out and we have a good time seeing On the Town!  

We also got to go see David Zahl speak about his new book and that was super exciting (like I had several "moments"). Dave is the creative genius behind Mockingbird, which is just an amazing blog/conference that has done so much for my faith. 


And while we didn't get the projected "historic blizzard", we got a good six inches of snow and that was a blast (for half an hour).

On My Heart:
- It's been a heavy month. And somehow I wonder if they won't all be until we get home and get settled. It's a tension I know won't leave, even though there are so many joyful moments. Because there are so many joyful moments, really.
- I've watched someone I love struggle with something and that's depleting, especially when there's really no end in sight.
- I'm really, really thankful the communities we have here and in Mississippi. We had a scary forecast with literal blizzards projected to come our way and so many friends were checking in on us. I have several friends that have really walked beside me in other big ways this month and that fills my heart to the brim.

In My Prayers:
- I'm trying to pray for more faith in the midst of difficulties and trust God in his providence.
- I'm trying to pray that we will be able to fully immerse ourselves these last few months here.
- I'm trying to pray for patience during these long Winter months.
[I say trying because too often, this is a spiritual discipline that I don't prioritize.]
 
On the Calendar: 

We have lots of little fun things to explore in February and I'm excited! 

What I'm Into

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Okay...I totally just confused The Neverending Story and The Land Before Time!!! lol! I was going to say that I just found The Neverending Story online and keep meaning to watch it. And then I realized that I was very mixed up.

Anyway!

Cords are my favorite! They are sooo soft and so comfortable and warm! They're just the best.

Your mailbox has had some great things coming in!

I'm glad that you got to go to that show!!! I love the theatre! :)

Mallory Pickering said...

I LOVED what Graves said about the movie. So sweet! <3

And thanks for the idea about the color-coded notebook!