Saturday, June 13, 2015

Weekly Happenings Post #321 (May 18-24)-- Returning (Somewhat) to Normal



This was our first week after the floors got put in so we tried to do a lot around the house. I also realized about then, though, that it was really important to be present with the people we love because that was a HUGE part of the "why" we even moved back. This was also the week that I gradually began doing more normal things. Carrie and I started back getting together (with all the children) regularly, I finally started the kids back with having a mandatory daily rest time since the house was functional enough for it, and Peyton and I went to a wedding. It felt like we were starting to really live again instead of just surviving. But I was still crying probably at least once a day. All in all, it was a good week.

I woke up exhausted and overwhelmed again on Monday. I got the kids settled and they had breakfast and watched their shows and I got my bath and did a few things. They played most of the morning and I went through boxes and straightened. We had lunch and I played with them a bit and then Minnie came over and I got a good bit done. I set up their reading nook and went through a lot more boxes.
Reading nook complete. Their books > my clothes. Trying to live my priorities and show them what I value with my choices. 

We straightened their room and she left and I fixed the kids supper. I washed dishes while they ate and then gave them a bath. I emailed a friend and Peyton got home. He read to them and I finished cleaning up the kitchen. We talked and I did a few other things and then went to bed early.

I woke up feeling great on Tuesday, I guess because I got so much sleep. I cooked oatmeal for myself and the kids, got some laundry folded, and then got my bath while they watched their shows. We got ready and headed to Old Navy and the grocery store. My mother in law texted me to say they wanted to stop by and see our garden and we met them at our house. I unloaded groceries and they visited with the kids. The kids had lunch and I unpacked a box or two and then they had rest time. Graves had a HARD time. Reprograming your super attached second child after a month of not being unconnected to at least one family member is Hell. This is what most of the afternoon looked like:

"Can we please just TAAAALK ABOUUUUT ITTTT?" (him) "We've done that for twenty minutes" (me) "My head huuuurts" (him, well, and me). "That's because you're crying so hard, darling. Let's get a wet cloth (and a stiff drink)" (me). "I want my CROOOOCS and a banana" (him). "Of course you can wear outood shoes inside your sleeping bag for a special treat (and anything else you want if you'll stop sobbing) but lunch is over (oh wait, nevermind, I actually do still have a few guidelines and a *slightly* strong will than yours)" (me).

I got on the computer and ate my lunch and they played a bit together after rest time was over. They went outside and I got ready because we were going to some friends' house for dinner. Peyton got home and we left. We had so much fun seeing the Deckards after so long and the kids had a great time playing with their girls. We got home a little after nine and put the kids to bed. They had a hard time with that, too. I went to sleep shortly after the kids.

Peyton was off on Wednesday and we got up and all went to the park after we had breakfast and baths. We had a good time but it was HOT. We stopped at the library on the way home. We all had lunch and the kids had rest time and Peyton and I worked a bunch on the study. We sorted through almost all our books which took some time. They got up and played outside some and then had supper while we kept going. I set up my craft stuff and went through old text books and binders. We got them to bed and sorted through some toy boxes and had supper.

Thursday was a fun day. The kids slept pretty late and then we got up and got ready to go to Carrie's. We had such fun and everyone played really nicely. I will say that with six kids between us, we didn't get as much talking in as we used to =)

There were lots of things I was anxiously awaiting as we got ready to move back to Mississippi. Very close to the top of that list was meeting Francie. I remember long before we even moved to New York and I started crying thinking about how Carrie and I had visited each other in the hospital with Jude, then Graves, then Alaina and how this time I would be around to welcome her new baby. I've loved every picture and every conversation about sweet Francie but it's a totally different think to watch one of your closest friend's kids grow up with your own eyes. And to have her back by your side watching yours grow up. 

We came home and had rest time. I got on the computer and took a short nap. Peyton got home and played outside with the kids while I finished organizing toys and started on some more boxes. They came in and had supper late and I did a bunch of dishes. Peyton set up my computer and I bathed the kids and did their bedtime routine. I was pretty tired at that point. I got on the computer a bit and then went to bed.

We had a low key day for most of the day on Friday and then a busy night. The kids got up and we all had breakfast and I went through a box and made the bed and then got my bath. I went through several more boxes, got on the computer, and did a few other things like laundry and then I fixed the kids lunch. They had popsicles outside and I finished the last of the boxes I wanted to get done. I did some dishes and then they had rest time. I ate lunch and got on the computer and uploaded some pictures. Peyton got home and the kids played outside some more and then we got ready to go to Mallory's surprise party. We had such a good time and Mal was SO surprised. We left there and went to my parents'. Cookie got there right after us- she was coming in for the holiday weekend. We got home LATE and put the kids right to bed. I worked on organizing the pictures some and went to bed.
I showed Peyton this when it popped up on my TimeHop and we both said "yep". Even as much as I love aspects of being back and my heart was gradually realighning itself, I missed it so much more than I thought I would. I still miss it terribly, but I feel like I'm in a much better place now, three weeks later. 

We got up and got going on Saturday. Peyton was off and our new slipcover for our Ikea couch from Brooklyn came in. Peyton put the couch back together and I got the kids breakfast and then spent all morning taking stuff to the attic and organizing a bit up there.

 We got baths and then got ready for a wedding that afternoon. We dropped the kids off at my parents and headed to the wedding. We had a fabulous time catching up with old friends.
This is a picture of two members of our family who spent multiple hours without the other two members of our family doing something other that trying to make our house livable for all the members of our family. The other two family members were being spoiled by not only their wonderful grandparents but their precious aunt who was in town for the holiday weekend. 

We went back to my parents and visiting until late. When we got home, we put the kids right to bed (Graves was already asleep) and Peyton worked on putting up his clothes (some were still in boxes) and I put a bunch of prints/posters in frames to hang. We got to bed LATE.

Sunday was a fun day. We woke up and got ready and went to Wells Memorial Methodist church. Everyone was friendly and we enjoyed the service. We went straight to my parents' house afterwards. My dad grilled, we played in their neighbors pool with the kids (well, Peyton did, ha!) and I got to visit with Cookie and take a little nap. We stayed through dinner. When we got home, we worked on some things around the house and chatted and went to bed.

I'm still really enjoying finishing these (I have them basically typed out and I edit/add pictures and the occasional link). It's interesting to sort of track my emotional progress and the whole reacclimation to life here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you guys not going yo return to the church you were going to before your move? You seemed to really love it.

Sarah Denley said...

Anon-

While we were in Brooklyn, we attended churches that were, in many ways, very different from our old church here. It may us realize we'd like to explore other options. I've hesitates to write a full post about this because we have so many friendships at our old church and I would never, ever want to say anything that could be misunderstood and hurt some of our friends there.

Thanks for asking!