Sunday, July 5, 2015

What I'm Into: June



On the Nightstand:

Immersion Bible Study: Mathew- J. Ellsworth Kalas
I've dug back in and I'm actually hoping to finish it by the end of July. It's got some really thought provoking (and convicting) nuggets.

For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World Full of Impossible Standards- Jen Hatmaker
I meant to have this one finished, too. I'm the worst launch team person ever. But it's been crazy, clearly. Anyway, I'm going to do a full post about it for the launch, but it's been hilarious and so true to life.

And my old staples:
Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions by Brennan Manning 
The Mockingbird Devotional: Good News for Today (and Every Day)- Ethan Richardson, Sean Norris

On Their Nightstand: 
We've gotten one haul from the library and we finally ordered Level 2 of Five in a Row. All that's pretty recent, though, and we haven't totally dove in yet. I'm hoping to have more to post next month as we're really starting back with homeschooling. I did, however, get our master closet converted to a reading nook for them. I still have some tweaking, but they seem to love it:

On the Shelf:
Law and Gospel: A Theology for Sinners (and Saints)- Will McDavid, Ethan Richardson, David Zahl
Bossypants- Tina Fey

I thought this would be a good mix of intense and....less so. Law and Gospel is really short and Bossypants should be an easy read so I'm planning to knock a good bit out once I finish For the Love.

At the Theater (or from the couch):
Boyhood
Oh gosh. I loved this one. Peyton wasn't super impressed because the plot wasn't very strong. It wasn't like nonexistant, but it was just a kid growing up. I loved the concept of filming over years (over a decade, really) with the same actor as he grew up. My favorite genre is coming of age movies and I thought Boyhood was really well done. It was just a beautiful movie that looked into the deep places of the adolescent heart without being overly dramatic or trite.

Wish I Was Here
This movie was clever and interesting and also really character driven. I laughed a lot and cried once. The family narrative is right up there with the coming of age one for me and I loved watching the dynamics between the characters and how they changed and evolved throughout the movie as they faced struggles with finances, and parenting, and ultimately even death.

Wild
I thought this one was going to be my least favorite of the three, but I'm not so sure. It did start out slow for me. Really, really slow. But it gained power and ended up being such an intense film. As Cheryl, the main character, hiked the Pacific Crest Trail, mostly in an effort to regain some sort of emotional and mental health, I felt like I learned a lot about her and my heart broke more and more for her the more I watched and when she finally experienced some level of healing...well, I felt sort of invested in it. I think that means it was a good (great?) movie. I also really want to read the book now.

On the Small Screen:
And it's slowly coming to an end. I'm a little sad and even cried in one episode. We need to find a new show soon! 

In My Ears:
Bruce and Mumford on repeat in the Buick now that I have a CD player (and a car containing a cd player). Also ran across this gem when an Indelible Grace YouTube session led to it. Modern hymn movement FTW. Sob. So timely. Cause, damn...trials

Around the House:
But...onto some more fun things. Since we just moved back-- a lot has been going on.
I found the perfect spot for my little red chalkboard and filled it with the lyrics of of my favorite Summer tunes!

a little whimsy above the couch in the study


Our "new" room. This was sort of a big deal. I mentioned this before, but we did things in a very slow and deliberate way and I don't regret it for one minute. But for five years, I never loved the master bedroom. In fact, I mostly hated it and was embarrassed by it. And for nearly a year and a half we didn't have a bedroom. And then we had a really long month where we didn't even have a bed. So I was almost teary when the day got here. It's good to have a little more space that's just ours. And I'm absolutely in love with how it turned out! 

Minnie recovered a couple of stools in some fabric I already had. I think the vintage dresses and sock monkeys both turned out super cute! 

In the Kitchen:
I've actually gotten in a little bit of a groove (I cooked supper three nights in a row this week, which is basically totally unheard of for me). 


First up, I have a confession. We ran out of Duke's the other day (Peyton's been making Ina Garten's potato salad with the tiny new potatoes and generous amounts of dill in bulk because he's fancy like that) and I realized the vast majority of my lunches and some of my dinners require it. Y'all, it's hard to go slow when you're reunited with a lost love. 

Summer is for...tomato tart on repeat. Minnie suggested I find it in one of my Junior League cookbooks and try it out. It's about as easy as scrambling an egg, it's a storebought pie crust but it tastes so fresh, and it almost feels a little fancy. Peyton and the kids are obsessed with it too so it's a win by every imaginable standard. 

Summer is for...tomato sandwiches and corn on the cob at midnight on a week day

In My Closet:
Not really in my closet, but I wear it every day. I got a little pixie cut that I've been wanting for awhile and while I don't think it's my forever hairstyle, I've mostly loved it. 

In Their Closets:
I don't even know. They have a ton of cute Summer clothes but I mostly seem to photograph them in jams and swimsuits and costumes. Whatever. Summer. 

In My Mailbox:
I ordered the everything I needed to start homeschooling, so that was fun. We're slowly easing back into it! 

In My Cart:
We haven't started our major budget crunch yet, but we are trying to retain ourselves with spending (which is sort of hard if I'm being really honest, because I've always considered us pretty frugal in most areas). Anyway, all that to say....NOT MUCH. 

I have bought a few things for the house and I bought AP some jams (boy jams at that because we don't stress over that, she wanted animal pjs and the girls selection was...limited, and she can pass them down to Graves). 

Around the Town:


After a decade away, we rejoined the sweet community pool where Peyton and I met as lifeguards. It was a really special day for me.


Two of my classmates weddings were on the same evening (actually three classmates, two were marrying each other!) and Peyton and I both felt like we really needed to be at both. So we split up and he and AP drove to Tupelo to see a special friend from our lifeguard days get hitched. And this guy was my date to the wedding of a fewllow Bicycle Club member and a friend I've know since I was littler than him. Such a fun night, but we sure did miss our Sister/Sweetie! 



We also spent quite a bit of time outside in our very own yard. Eating supper in the fort and watering the blueberry bushes have been frequent highlights! 


Summer is for...fishing in your grandparents' backyard. 

On the Blog:
Peyton wrote Annie her yearly letter and also wrote Graves his. Also, Peyton finally went ahead and shared something hard and painful and scary that's been going on over here. Basically, anything super significant this month, Peyton wrote. Everything else, I wrote. 

On My Heart:
- Obviously, all this faith (or lack of faith, as it is) stuff with Peyton is at the forefront alot of the time. Sometimes I handle it pretty well. Sometimes I'm a disaster. I think a big part of this is giving myself permission to grieve and process and ask hard questions myself.
- I have realized what an amazing support system I have and my heart overflows with thankfulness for the people God is using to encourage me and speak the things I need to hear.

In My Prayers:
- Clearly, I'm praying for Peyton's journey and that will be at the top of my prayer list for the rest of my life, I think. I haven't always prioritized that in the past and if anything this has led me to pray more for someone I love so much. Regardless of what happens or when, I don't want that posture of prayer for him to ever change again.
- I haven't talked a whole lot about this (and I'm not sure how much I will) but we aren't returning to the church we attended before moving to Brooklyn. So I'm really praying that we can find a good fit as far as a church home.
- One thing I pray a lot about is direction and wisdom for the future. I pray a lot about what our family will look like and also (though it may sound silly to some) pray a lot about our journey toward simplicity. I also pray a lot about where (like literally where) the years will take us. I'm unsure if we'll stay in the suburb we live in indefinitely (we will for the next few years), if we'll move across the county line into good ol' Hinds and the thriving metropolis of Jackson, or if we'll be in a different geographical area entirely. And for me, it's hard not to know.
 
On the Calendar: 

Mostly, we're just enjoying opportunities to hang out with friends that we've missed seeing for the past year and a half. Peyton's working a lot this month and then in August he's changing to a completely different schedule and we'll figure out how to adjust to that and see if it's something that can work for our family for an extended period of time. 

What I'm Into

1 comment:

Rebecca Petersen said...

I love the headboard in your room! Your pixie cut is so adorable! It looks great on you!