Saturday, September 5, 2015

September Goals and Happenings


I don't think I love this month's design quite as much as last month's, but I do like it alot. I love the pictures across the top. I do wish the one with Peyton on his bike and the kids in the trailer was sharper/closer. I tried to crop it a bit, but that didn't really help- there wasn't a lot to crop. The colors are some of my favorites and the quote has become very, very dear to me. It sure can be hard to kiss that wave, but I think I'm starting to learn a bit about how to do it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August was a lot of fun! We spent a lot of time with friends, Peyton started his new schedule (I'm really planning a full post on that sooooon), we finished up with Briarwood and started swimming at the Y location near our house, we biked some, and I feel like I'm FINALLY getting a handle on driving standard.

I'm excited about September:
- I'm still adjusting to Peyton's schedule, but each week I feel like it gets more and more normal.
- We signed the kids up for soccer (well, Graves is playing "blastball") at the Y.
- We're going to try to make storytime at the library once a week and either do the park or swimming on the days the kids don't have soccer.
- We're starting our second "quarter" of first grade and Peyton is planning some Science lessons to do with the kids.
- We're still trying out churches, but visiting a couple pretty regularly.
- I'm trying to walk with Mallory once a week.
- Hopefully, we'll get to enjoy spending more time with our friends this month.

Here were August's goals:
1. Finish my current Bible study and figure out a new one. I finally, finally finished this one. It was really slow towards the end, to be honest. I started this Jennie Allen study and I'm also going to try doing a She Reads Truth study this month. (Faith)

2. Ease into Peyton's new schedule. Like I said, we did this. I'm not saying it's been seamless (it hasn't) but it has been good. (Family)

3. Have at least one family over for dinner this month. Okay, we didn't actually do this. But...I don't feel bad. Here's why- we had quite a few friends over for playdates and such during the week and we went over to some friends' house (and with this particular family I really think they much prefer to do dinner at their place). In one way, I didn't meet the goal because neither of these things required me to get out of my comfort zone the way the actual goal would have. BUT, the higher goal of nurturing friendship and engaging in our community was met.  (Relationships)

4. Plan and cook regularly. I'd say I did better than usual, but Peyton's schedule shift has kind of thrown me for a loop. At least I feel like I've pinpointed a style, though! (Health)

5. Consider, and plan for, the Fall semester. We did pretty good with this. We still need to nail down more specifics, but I feel like we have a general idea of what we want to accomplish.  (Education/Edification) 

6. Attend at least one local free or low-cost activity or event. We did this! We attended (last month and this month!) Fondren's First Thursday. It's basically a street fair, which is fun because it reminds us of NYC. Both times we've dropped the kids off with Peyton's parents and made a little date out of it (although I do think it'd be fun to take them sometimes). We bought snacks, but the actual event was free and it was so much fun.  (Finances)

7. Figure out what our weeks will look like with this new schedule and meet weekly to plan. We didn't do great with this at first, and we paid for it. When we started doing better with planning, things flowed more smoothly. Duh.  (Simplicity)

8. Blog about what I'm learning about thankfulness (this may be more than one post). Well, I wrote a little about it here, but I have another (more lighthearted) post coming soon. (Joy/Gratitude) 

9. Learn to drive standard well. Last month I wrote "I'm going to give myself a few months to see if it's something I can handle long term or if it totally drives me nuts." It turns out, it IS something I can do. The jury is still out on if it's something I can handle long term (and in the dark) but after running a few errands solo the other day, I told Peyton that I THOUGHT he was going to get to keep his dumb, sporty-ish car. (Additional Goal)

10. Make good use of the pool when it's open and really help the kids continue to develop their swimming skills. We did this a good bit. AP has gotten really good. Graves still needs a lot of work, but we're just going to try to be consistent and make it fun while insisting he actually work toward learning to swim. (Additional Goal)

11. Get a couple of sno cones before the Summer ends. Did it! Peyton and I got one at Fondren's First Thursday and then we all took a trip to Sno Biz as a family. (Fun Goal)

Bonus Goal: Send some encouraging snail mail. I sent snail mail to a couple of friends this month and it really brightened MY day. I feel more joyful when I'm encouraging others and I need to make space in my life to do it more often.

And now September's Goals:
1. Make use of the three books on my nightstand, daily if possible:
    - Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions by Brennan Manning 
    - The Mockingbird Devotional: Good News for Today (and Every Day)- Ethan Richardson, Sean              Norris
    - The Book of Common Prayer
    (Faith)

2. Pray for Peyton and the children daily- with boldness, authenticity, and faith. I had really felt like my prayer life was deepening, but this month it sort of felt stagnated. This is so important to me and I want it to be a priority. (Family)

3. Reestablish pattern of emailing with my close friend/mentor. I did this is Brooklyn and it was SO beneficial. Obviously, now that we're back I can just get together with Darlene, but that isn't always practical and honestly I'd like to touch base more. (Relationships)

4. Exercise three times a week. The other day I rode my bike four miles with Peyton and the kids. Four miles! It may not seem like a big deal, but it was the first time I'd been on a bike (with the exception of a trip around the neighborhood the week before) in about twenty years. It felt so good! I want to do more things like that. (Health)

5. Use my sewing machine and make a curtain for the play kitchen in the children's room. I haven't done a sewing project lately and Graves keeps ripping the (admittedly not well attached) doors off the thing. (Education/Edification)

6. VERY carefully finish out the children's Fall wardrobes. I want to buy Graves a dress shirt (OMG, am I really saying I'm going to put him a shirt and pants???) and I think I may get Annie a couple of pairs of leggings. There's one more consignment sale coming up and it's my favorite but also typically has the highest price points. I want to be super discriminating and not spend much more. I think they're almost set. (Finances)

7. Finally finish purging in the sunroom, laundry room, and kitchen. There's really not a lot left to do (there's a ton to do in the attic, but it's got to get cool first). Hopefully, we can knock this out soon! 

8. Write post on gratitude/thankfulness. (Joy/Gratitude). 

9. Finish hanging stuff and decorating in the kids' room, our room, the bathrooms, and the laundry room. Then the only room left unfinished will be the sunroom. (Additional Goal)

10. Show up, engaged and not frazzled, at various appointments. This month I have an interview for a substitute teaching job, an actual day of subbing, and a meeting with an attendance officer to get things official for homeschooling. I just want to do my best and present myself well at all of those. (Additional Goal)

11. Catch up on the blog. This has been a goal in my mind (and on several of these lists, I think) since we moved back. But I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Anyway, I'm really hoping to get completely caught up because I'm wanting to do the 31 Day Blog Challenge in October and I know it'll be frustrating to try to write if I'm still trying to catch up on Weekly Happenings posts and that sort of thing. (Additional Goal). 

12. Get take out and have a "stay in" date night on the couch with one of our favorite shows. So old. So boring. (Fun Goal)

Here's to September, a bonus month of Summer for us in the Deep South. May we let ourselves linger while the days are still long, enjoying the time before the temperature agrees with the season. 

No comments: