Friday, October 30, 2015

31 Days of Ordinary Wonder: How the Gospel Frees Us to Notice


Towards the beginning of this series, I wrote about how pace, priorities and self-care help me see life's little wonders, something that I personally have to be very intentional about. Today I want to talk about how the Gospel frees me to see those wonders.

Some days (most days recently) I barely skim the surface of my to-do list. I envision a farmer with acres of land he's responsible for, who on a good day makes it into his backyard and tends his little vegetable garden. He is never, ever enough. These days that farmer looks a lot like Brennan Manning or Robert Capon and he just rests in the fact that his labors were never enough to earn his own merit even on his very best day anyway.

The Gospel frees me to know exactly where my worth lies. And exactly where it doesn't (hint: the list).

I am free to linger longer in a conversation with a friend or in a moment with the most slow fast moving forces of nature I know, my children, who can never ever get in a car to go somewhere quickly. I am free to enjoy a cool evening outside and let the dishes sit in the sink an hour longer. I am free, most of all, to know that what needs to get done will get done and I'm right where I need to be.

{Take the back roads and get lost, be inspired by the conversation at hand, fully trust that you are where you need to be.}



No comments: