Saturday, October 3, 2015

31 Days of Ordinary Wonder: What Little Things Can Make Up Happiness (Week 1 Quote)


On Saturdays this month, I'm going to share a relevant quote. The two I shared yesterday are really probably my very favorites on the topic and speak to it so well. But there are quite a few more that really capture what I'm talking about here.

This was my monthly quote a couple of months ago and I love it. It's from one of my favorite books, A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. One of the most beautiful things about the book, though I've never articulated it this way before, it how well it captures the ordinary. And how simple happiness can be derived from the most seemingly inconsequential things.

I remind myself often that I don't need big things to make me happy and Francie, the protagonist in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, embodies this well. She's surrounded by not only poverty, but truly a lot of heartache and dysfunction, and yet she finds the beauty in a small piece of candy, a stubborn tree that emerges from the concrete, and most of all every book the library has to offer her.

What little things can contribute to our happiness!

No comments: