Thursday, October 15, 2015

31 Days of Ordinary Wonder: The Work of My Own Hands


I haven't been feeling my best lately, but last night while Peyton had the kids at soccer, I vacuumed and "washed" the floors. I've mentioned it recently, but to me, few things feel better than the work of my own hands. I'm not saying it's easy to make myself do it, but once I get going I find it so rewarding. It hasn't always been this way and I'm not sure why this is. It's partly the finished product, but that's not all it is.

It's in the act of work. Physical tasks and using my hands and my body to accomplish something feels good and right and wholesome and true. And it's usually a time where I can be alone with my thoughts and not rushed and enjoying that mental space feels good.

I'm more grateful than ever for our little home, for how good it feels when it's clean, and for the love of the labor.

No comments: