Thursday, November 5, 2015

November Goals and Happenings

I actually ended up really liking this month's background and I wasn't sure I would. I went through quite a few greens trying to match the font in the header to the background and while I wish it was more visible, I like how it turned out. And I love the pumpkins, peanuts, adventure bag and of course my sweet small people in the pictures. The quote is one of my new favorites I found recently!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October ended up looking sort of different than what I had planned. We didn't make it to the state fair and we didn't do any special Fall activities, really. We did visit Tishomingo State Park and that was really fun. Also, I found out (really at the very end of September) that I was pregnant and it's been so exciting but really hard (I know I sound like a broken record if you read her regularly). Also, the kids (and Peyton and I) have been sick on and off for like the entire month.

November is sort of daunting to me:
- Actually, we've finished up the first third. I only had to do one Mistletoe shift this year because I did the take down shift for the Preview Gala which is from ten thirty to two thirty. Also, our sweet friend Haydn WON the election for Chancery Court Judge and there's no run-off.
- I have about three days of subbing and Peyton is working a lot of extra days over the next two and a half weeks (really, I think every day that I'm not subbing).
- He said that last week of November, he wanted to tackle the attic. Which, really we have to in order to even get down our Christmas stuff.
- We're going to the Friday night 80s party at Mistletoe tomorrow night and I'm pretty excited about that.
- Annie has her last soccer game this weekend and I do hope she gets to play in it.
- We're really taking it easy with school for the next few weeks because of all this other stuff and because we can. We'll still be finishing up with what I had planned to complete by January, so it's nice to give myself a break in that area.

Here were October's goals:
1. Make use of the three books on my nightstand, daily if possible:
    - Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions by Brennan Manning 
    - The Mockingbird Devotional: Good News for Today (and Every Day)- Ethan Richardson, Sean              Norris
    - The Book of Common Prayer
    I did this more, but still not near enough. Also, I didn't realize (because I haven't used it much) that the BCP isn't super easy to just pick up and use. I'm actually reading through a series of posts on how to use it more effectively.
    (Faith)

2. Pray for Peyton and the children daily- with boldness, authenticity, and faith. I have done more of this and it's been really helpful, I think. (Family)

3. Write a few handwritten notes. Nope. Not a single one. I did decide one person I want to write to.  (Relationships)

4. Establish patterns of silence and stillness in my day. I think it would be more accurate to say I established patterns of sleep in my day. Mostly, when I'm still and silent that's what I'm doing. This pregnancy has WORN ME OUT already. (Health)

5. Work towards incorporating extra, additional things into our curriculum (science, preschool type activities for Graves, more read aloud time, memory work, ect.). We actually did this some for a couple of weeks and then I sort of fell of the wagon and we haven't even been doing great with the basics. Like I said above though, that's one of the benefits of homeschooling and getting ahead in the Summer. (Education/Edification)

6. Press pause for the month on all unnecessary spending. Hmm, not terrible, but not great. I bought a makeup bag for myself, and I COULD have made do without a new one, but really it was time and I don't feel too guilty about it. (Finances)

7. Begin going through the attic and purging, as I need to do my closet change-over and decorate for Fall anyway. Hard nope. Didn't even start to happen. I mean, I did get down Fall decorations but that's IT. Okay, I take that back. We also went through two big boxes of presents for the kids for later. But that didn't even make a dent. (Simplicity)

8. Notice Ordinary Wonder all around me. I did this and I think I did a pretty good job with staying up to date on my posts. It was a fun exercise. (Joy/Gr attitude)

9. Start and finish a book of poetry. Again, nope. Just didn't happen. (Additional Goal)

10. Settle myself back into the Junior League. Yes! I did all the things I meant to do- went to my first meeting since moving back, picked a placement for the Spring, did my Mistletoe shift and fulfilled my financial obligation for Mistletoe. (Additional Goal)

11. Go to the Mississippi State Fair. NO. There was no way. My own refrigerator (which is NOT stinky) made me sick some this month. No way could I handle the fair. They'll be other years for it. (Fun Goal)

12. Pick a new show to watch with Peyton. Well, we did start FBI Files and I picked back up with The West Wing. He wants to watch The Wire together so maybe we'll start that this month. (Fun Goal)

Now, November goals (which I'm trying to keep really low key):

1. Read She Reads Truth daily. Now that I'm finished with Restless, I really want to be in the Bible daily. I don't really think now is the time to commit to another book or workbook. I just want to read Scripture and hearing another woman's thoughts on it and the context it has for her is an added bonus. (Faith)

2. Go on a date with Peyton. This is happening this week! (Family)

3. Write one handwritten note and continue emailing with friends if I'm not able to see them face to face. Just this week I've been emailing with two different friends after I realized how down I had gotten from the lack of contact. It's really helped. (Relationships)

4. Daily (and with intention) practice some form of self-care. A friend and I were talking about this and I think, especially this month, it's going to be really important. (Health)

5. Order a few curriculum items I need for next semester for homeschooling. (Education/Edification)

6. Determine how I will spend money on the house over the next few months and carefully make purchases. I made a basic list back during the Summer and I've added one thing to it since then. There are literally three things on the list. Two are moderate sized purchases and one is pretty big but I think after these I'm really going to feel like it's finished. For awhile, of course. (Finances)

7. At least begin on the attic purge. UGGGGH. Dread. (Simplicity)

8. Document my Thankfuls for the month (Joy/Gratitude)

9. Finish at least one of the three books I'm reading (Additional Goal)

10. Complete several things I need to tend to online (fill out a questionnaire form the OB, print a booster seat return slip, and I need to update my credit card info on our Google storage account). (Additional Goal)

11. Set aside a couple of times every week to watch The West Wing. (Fun Goal)

Here's to November, a busy chaotic month. May we remember to rest when we need, to trust the One who sustains us, and to remember the brightness that is in all seasons if we are willing to look for it. 

No comments: