Monday, November 30, 2015

What I'm Into: November


On the Nightstand:
Well, this was the worst reading month I've had in a WHILE. I hardly picked up a book. I knew all along this would be a full month, though, so I'm not really beating myself up over it. Anyway, here's what I'm still working through and hoping to pick back up in December:

Telling God's Story: A Parent's Guide to Teaching the Bible- Peter Enns
Okay, I actually did read a bit of this one at one point. I've finished the first two sections and just have the third left. More on this next month!

Tender Hooks- Beth Ann Fennelly
Not the full report promised, obviously. But it's a quick read so maybe I'll get through it too, this month

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms How We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead- Brene Brown
Stuck at the same spot and I'm ready to pick it back up, too!

As always:
Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions by Brennan Manning 
The Mockingbird Devotional: Good News for Today (and Every Day)- Ethan Richardson, Sean Norris


On Their Nightstand: 

Honestly, not as much here, either. We've gotten some library books and at this point, Annie reads a lot on her own. I've been reading to them nightly but not near the amount I like to during the day. We did start two new chapter books (we took a break from the first to start a Christmas one) and I'll update on that too, in December.

On the Shelf:

Um, just the three books I made hardly any headway on in November.

At the Theater (or from the couch):
Slingshot
This was such a fascinating (and inspiring!) documentary. It's about the man who is famous for inventing the Segway, but the movie really focuses on him and his characters and aspirations as well as his latest project (which has been about twenty years in the making)- a filtration system that could purify any sort of water and basically be the solution to the world's water crisis.

Also, if you're going to let them have way too much screen time, at least it's a BBC bird doc, right? I was in and out for it, but it really is fascinating. Annie loves it and Graves tolerates it (especially if he gets to watch the previews of the prehistoric creature BBC documentary eache time).

On the Small Screen:
I had actually PLANNED to be really intentional about watching The West Wing (I even made it a goal, for crying out loud) but that didn't happen either. We've watched a few SVU episodes here and there when folding laundry but that's about the extent of it.

In My Ears:
I haven't really been listening to that much new music (mainly just classic rock radio), but I did enjoy exactly one podcast this month.
PZ's Podcast- I listened to the episode "Is Paris Burning?" and it was really interesting to hear the opinion and ideas of one of my favorites!

Around the House:
 UGH. Not near as cute as last month. We've been purging in the attic and the house is basically a train wreck. I'm hoping at least the majority of December will look ALOT different.


In the Kitchen:
Not a lot worth sharing. As with everything, I've dropped the ball (even by my standards). Last week, I did fix homemade spaghetti sauce for everyone and we devoured it. Oh, and I mentioned in another post, but potatoes in any form are my go-to right now with the pregnancy:
 Oh, and Peyton finally had a few days off in a row (he's been working a bunch of extra shifts) and he sweetly prepared all my meals. I loved the grilled cheeses, but this had me feeling like I was the hospital or maybe a school cafeteria. 

I've had some BAD headaches and I've been trying this sometimes. I'm not sure how much it really helps, but it is nice and soothing when it's rainy and cold out.
 

In My Closet:

Well, since I started taking weekly pictures, this catagory is actually not especially bare! 
I wore this to sub one day.

 
This was a comfy outfit I threw on to go meet with the pastor at Northside since I've kind of decided it's our place for now.

And this was my choice for Thanksgiving. These cords are making it longer than I anticipated!

Oh, and Peyton likes to keep the house chilly (which I mean, I would rather have him here more/have more money to spend on other things) and everyone else still seems comfy basically in their underwear but I'm wearing a PUFFY COAT. 
In Their Closets:
We're transitioning out of jon jons and while it's breaking my heart a little bit, I don't think Graves could be much cuter in his suspenders and sweater vests!

Annie wore this little dress (which is also cute by itself!) with a little pinafore for Thanksgiving and it might be my favorite thing in her closet this year! Hysterically, it's a 4T.
 
In My Mailbox:
We got our first Christmas card, so that was exciting! December is my favorite mail month for sure!

In My Cart:
I ordered a few things online during the sale weekend, but I'll wait to share until they come in. Otherwise, nothing really this month.

Around the Town (and At Home):
 
Peyton and I had a fun little date to the Friday night party at Mistletoe. It's way more low key that the Preview Gala and had an 80s theme which was really fun. We ran into several friends and had a nice time!


 Annie got invited to one of her soccer teammates birthday parties. It was her first birthday to go to that wasn't for a child of a friend of mine AND it was her first time to skate. We had so much fun!

 
We've had some rainy days, but we've still been trying to get outside when we can!  This guy LOVES riding his bike and climibing on things (inside or outside) is a close second.

 
The tornado sirens went off the other night and it completely tterrified Annie. She came around but still ended up spending the rest of the night in the bathtub. 
 
Thanksgiving was so much fun and I was so glad to be back close to family. Look at how much these cousins have changed in the past two years. And a picture of the little cousins, too! 
  
At the Schoolhouse:
 [I decided to add a new feature here. I call our house "The Schoolhouse in the Suburbs" and often there's at least one or two things I want to share. They mostly have been finding their way into the "Around Town" heading, but I thought it would be fun to give that it's own space.]

 
We took a nice long break this month, but we did finish our English for the semester. We have several more math lessons but we've started back on those, too. This first one, I had been particularly dreading. I think the spontaneous break was great for me and AP, though. She only finished three of the six problems- the first took who knows how long, I timed the second and it took her twenty five minutes, and the third went a little more quickly. BUT she didn't get frustrated and discouraged until the very end and I think that was largely because her wild brother, her disruptive papa, and her uncle that she adores playing with returned from their walk and inadvertently reminded her there are much more exciting things in life than base ten cards.

 
Peyton is doing a maps unit with them and our little geogrpahy buff told me "this is North America".  

 I've mentioned this too, but I took my planning outside one day and it was so good for my soul.  
On the Blog:
I didn't really write any meaningful, significant things this month (which always sort of bothers me) but I did document my Thankfuls (one more edition left- tomorrow!) and started weekly baby updates.

On My Heart:
- I'm really trying to get in an Advent mindset. Our weeks are finally significantly slowing down and I'm so very thankful.
- I've really started thinking ahead to this Summer and what life will look like with a fifth person. We've been a family of four for so long, so it's sort of surreal (I will probably say that for the next few years).

In My Prayers:
- I'm still praying a lot for patience. And honestly, I should pray for it more.
- I'm THANKING the Lord that He's really helped me feel so grateful and content lately. I've been stressed and felt bad, but overall I think I've managed my anxiety pretty well all things considered, and I feel a lot of peace.
- I'm praying that Advent will be exactly what it needs to be- for me and for the kids- no more and no less.
 
On the Calendar: 

We don't have a lot of official stuff going on. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, we're doing some stuff with the homeschool group we're a part of, and we'll hopefully just get to spend a lot of time together as a family!

What I'm Into

No comments: