Monday, December 7, 2015

Weekly Smorgasbord

 Lots of interesting stuff here-- ISIS, dictionaries, Winter, and police lives. 
On Faith:
Posted: 28 Nov 2015 03:20 PM PST
"This is important: To support one is not to reject the other. These two things should not be viewed as competing, contradictory, or antithetical. In other words, I'm trying to articulate – not very well – that one can and must challenge and protest against systemic injustice and still value the individuals that work with integrity within such difficult, unjust systems. These are indeed challenging and complex times….ones that require much prayer, courage, tenacity, and humility. One easier-said-than-done way we can seek to remedy and fight against such broad stereotypes and generalizations is to choose to "see" each person. In other words, the intentionality behind the humanity of each person. This is clearly complex in the face of enormous structural and systemic issues and yet, this is so critical for us as Christians because we believe that each person is created in the Imago Dei – the image of God."

Posted: 29 Nov 2015 02:43 PM PST
"For me, taking the Bible seriously means looking head on at its persistent themes of mass violence and retribution—whether by God's hand (e.g., the Flood, Genesis 6), God's command"

I have a lot of thoughts on this (I'll probably be back tomorrow to share them). 
 On Love:
Posted: 18 Nov 2015 08:07 PM PST
"I always joke that God punished me for my atheism by sending a priest to be my best friend. He was always pushing us to do more. The phone never left his hand. He was always looking for new ways to help. He died last month, but even in his final days, he was searching for diapers from his hospital bed. His final post on Facebook said: 'God is love, without asterisks.'""

WITHOUT ASTERISKS, guys!
On Parenting:
Posted: 18 Nov 2015 08:16 PM PST
"I tell this story to my husband when he comes home at night, hoping to make him laugh. I tell this story to underscore how hard this job is, how poorly I am executing it, how utterly I am at the mercy of a three-foot tyrant in sparkly tights. I tell it to reassure him that I am still the sarcastic, ironic person he married, that motherhood has not made me soft-headed and moon-eyed, liable to weep at a Diapers.com commercial (though I do). I tell it to practice what I will say to the other moms at Saturday morning gymnastics, where we stand around with our puffy eyes and takeout coffees, trading polished complaints about our ungrateful, ill-tempered little monsters, additions to the canon of stories of parenthood as the worst thing that can happen to a minimally self-aware person other than not having kids at all. The joy of parenthood is not a story; it has no plot. It is a series of moments, unspoken."

Interesting take. This mostly hasn't been my experience outside of social media (probably mainly because I run in circles where people are incredibly grateful for their children and never want people to assume otherwise, sometimes almost to a fault), but it is interesting to think about- how much easier it is to complain, to poke fun, to swear and joke about how your children drive you to drink (all of which I do on the regular except the last because most alcohol grosses me out) than to try to tell the beautiful parts that really aren't even things I can articulate on my best day and incidentally also feel quite vulnerable and uncool.

On Community:
Posted: 22 Nov 2015 10:12 PM PST
"I walk to school because my neighbors do, and after two years of hopping into our heated van every morning and driving to the drop-off line, I'm understanding my privilege and the ways it undermines my place as a neighbor. I walk to school because these familiar sidewalks are inviting me into unfamiliar spaces, and because the road to community is a slow one, paved with ordinary repetition. We can't all walk to school, and I know there's nothing particularly magical or extra-Christian about it. But we can all find our lane, whatever it happens to be, and commit to staying in it for the long haul, or until God says otherwise."


On War Torn Countries:
Posted: 18 Nov 2015 08:03 PM PST
"They told me to meet them at a certain address with the money. It was an old abandoned house. They told me to wait for a silver car to come, and to throw the money inside. After a few minutes a car came. I threw the money inside and it drove off. Soon another car pulled up, the door opened, and my son was thrown out. I didn't believe it was my son. It was like I was born again. I picked him up and I started running and I didn't stop until I reached a place full of people. Both of us cried as I ran." I didn't really think the story was going to end this way. Amazing he's alive!
On Reading and Words and Schooling:
Posted: 28 Nov 2015 08:17 PM PST
"I have been so pleased with how doing more reading has affected my brain and my ability to process information. Also, I feel better equipped to discuss ideas aloud (mostly with Stephen, but also with friends and acquaintances)."
Posted: 22 Nov 2015 08:08 PM PST
"A usage dictionary is one of the great bathroom books of all time. Because it has the appeal of trivia, the entries are for the most part brief, and you end up within 48 hours — due to that weird psychological effect — actually drawing on exactly what you learned in some weird, coincidental way." Kinda want to get one now.

Posted: 16 Nov 2015 10:20 PM PST
"When my children come face to face with their challenge books, all three of these things come into play. First, atmosphere: they are learning to face a challenge with the right attitude. I help them, yes, but they must do it for themselves. Second, discipline: they build the habit of overcoming rather than quitting just because something is hard or not to their taste.  Third, living ideas: they get what they can out of the book.​

On Going for It:
Posted: 27 Nov 2015 09:40 PM PST
"I can't make out what the carrot at the end of the stick is, so I just extend the stick like a pop-up umbrella; I don't know which way I want the falling line of dominoes to curve, so… I just squeeze some more dominoes between myself and the action."

On Our Old Neighborhood (mostly this just spurred my own thoughts):
Posted: 18 Nov 2015 07:46 PM PST
"This is a forgotten neighborhood,". Uh, no. What is this, The Onion? It's a tragedy for sure and my heart breaks for this boy's family, but we walked through this area at one in the morning every Friday night last Summer on the way home from Coney Island. We certainly didn't dilly dally and it wasn't *the* safest place we frequented I don't guess, but let's not fear monger, guys. Also, a friend told me tonight that queso is on the (mile long) list of things not to eat while pregnant. Trusting in God's sovereignty and eating Mexican and going to Coney Island at midnight because one of the million lessons BK taught me is that I will not let anxiety hold me hostage and I will not allow myself, or my kids, an unlived life.

On Winter:
Posted: 06 Dec 2015 01:08 PM PST
"I hate the cold. I'm not fond of the dark. I've never understood people who like their sunlight blue. My least favorite time of year is high school wrestling season, when I would stand in the cafeteria after cheerleading practice and the sky through the atrium windows was black before five in the afternoon. Black in the morning on the way to school, black in the car as I drove home. Chapped palms and dry lips that itched against my sweater as I pulled it off, my hair floating up around my eyelashes and a shock greeting me when I touched the door handle to go to my room for bed."


On Entertaining:
Posted: 20 Nov 2015 10:19 AM PST
"When it comes to host gifts, olive oil should be the new wine. I mean, think about it: When you get a bottle of wine as a host, generally, you drink it that night or at some point within the week and generally, you sort of forget who gave it to you. The gift of wine is a wonderful gesture — I'm not saying it's not — it's just that olive oil can sometimes be more wonderful. Because it usually catches you by surprise and because it can be stretched out for weeks, forcing you to remember the giver's generosity every time you make a homemade vinaigrette or a eat a bowl of Sunday Minestrone, which demands a high-quality drizzle upon serving." Great tips!

On Photography and Art:
Posted: 28 Nov 2015 01:23 PM PST
I'm definitely not a big high fashion person, but these pictures are so beautiful and creative.

On the Word of the Year:
Posted: 22 Nov 2015 10:52 PM PST
LOLOL.
Noteworthy Quotes:
"What I've learned this week: Regarding gay marriage, the Bible is the literal word of God. Regarding the acceptance of people in dire need from other places, the Bible is a book of gentle suggestions." - Justin Shumaker

Noteworthy Images:



one of my least favorite words, period!

Noteworthy Videos:





Hope you enjoy!

No comments: