Friday, January 1, 2016

One Word 2016: Slow




Just like last year, I wanted to share my word for the year, but it'll be awhile before I roll out my actual goals. I plan to have them down by the end of the month, but I'm not worried about doing it today or even this week.  

I have been thinking a good bit about what my theme would be for the year over the past month or so. I came up with various similar words, but nothing seemed to fit. I wanted something that had to do with relaxing and being still and continuing to purse simplicity. Over and over, though, I kept hearing the lyrics to a wonderful song about a New York City bridge:

Slow down, you move too fast.
You got to make the morning last.
Just kicking down the cobble stones.
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy.

It didn't occur to me until after this happened several times that the perfect, simple word for this year was SLOW

I certainly want to grow and improve and have goals, but I'm also determined to "make the morning last" and some (many?) of my goals are going to be about working towards that. 

The fact is, this could well be our last baby. This will be the last year that Annie and Graves are six and four. 

I am learning to hold things more loosely and not mourn the passing of time so much, but part of that is slowing down and being present in the moment and that's easy to lose sight of. 

I'm planning to structure my goals in a similar way because it worked so well this past year- my goals will be loosely centered around the theme of slowness. Then I want to base my monthly goals at least partially off my master list of goals for the year (things will come up and I'll want to add extra goals and that's fine). Then from there, theoretically, my daily to-dos will, in part, consist of movements and motions that achieve those goals. In this way, my daily activities should be the embodiment of a beautiful SLOW year.  


No comments: