Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Weekly Smorgasbord

 Some links to start the week:

On Faith:
Posted: 07 Dec 2015 10:56 PM PST
"And so today, we call a truce between our need for control and our own inadequacy. It seems neither side knows how to play fair anyway."
Posted: 07 Dec 2015 10:10 PM PST
"Sure, God calls His people to the poor, the gritty. Maybe the teeth would be bad. Maybe they wouldn't have deodorant. I'm ready for all of that, but please don't be too needy or annoying. Don't make dinosaur screeches while I'm trying to talk to my friends. Don't be weird on the slide because it makes me think you're not all there, and I don't know what to do with not all there. Please don't hold a mirror up to my ugly. Don't slap me with the truth that you're a child of God, every bit as loved and cherished as I am. Don't remind me of how far I have to go and how hard it might be to get there."

Posted: 17 Dec 2015 10:09 PM PST
"While I would very much like to stay out of the category of those who cling to worthless idols (and I don't like to be called "wicked" or "adulterous"), I fear we are all quick to turn to idols. When I am afraid, I will trust in chocolate, soft blankets, and Netflix. My idols seem to crop up everywhere I look. Do you find you are inclined to run to your comforts instead of running to Christ?...Jesus has calmed the storm of God's judgment with His own sacrifice. As our lives were fading away, He raised us up from the pit. Despite all of our unfaithfulness, He offers His faithful love."
Posted: 17 Dec 2015 09:11 PM PST
"I wonder why I ever expected to be healed anywhere except where I'm broken. Guilt, fear, approval, performance–these are the words of the language I've always spoken, and grace is taking me home to my native tongue. There is no healing without brokenness. There is no forgiveness, no redemption, without the pain of the gardens: Eden and Gethsemane paired inextricably."

Posted: 17 Dec 2015 09:03 PM PST
"As much as we've done to make the whole low anthropology thing a refrain (maybe too much), if these numbers are correct, the cultural current has never run so strongly in the opposite direction. Again, the point in trumpeting human limitation and 'original sin' is not to fetishize negativity or pile on the millennials (even more!) so much as safeguard wellbeing and the possibility of gratitude, to say nothing of truth."
Posted: 17 Dec 2015 08:35 PM PST
"I'm saying that if we want to have a robustly Christian conversation about how best to love gay believers, then we need a thickly, densely Christian vocabulary that revolves around the kind of love that isn't reducible to romance. To have that impulse of mine publicly honored in this way — to have the flagship magazine of evangelical Christianity turning its attention to the beauty and power of relationships other than romantic ones, and turning its attention thereby to the actual lived experience of celibate, gay people — well, let's just say it feels not only like a professional honor but also like a deeply, deeply personal one."
Posted: 17 Dec 2015 08:16 PM PST
What a great concept!

 On Joy:
Posted: 11 Dec 2015 10:13 AM PST
"Joy is a contagious thing. It is fun to be around, it is fun to witness, it is a true blessing. But the amazing thing about joy is that because it has an object, it makes us look at the object of someone else's joy with a new appreciation. When we are joyful, our children look to our sources. Joy is like a beautiful magnifying glass. Our enjoyment of a thing makes that thing easier to see – bigger to everyone around us. One of the ways I see this in my children is in their excited appreciation of views – of changing light, of amazing clouds, of sunsetting, of color in the fields. They know that these things have always given me joy, and it has become that for them too."

On Grief:
Posted: 19 Dec 2015 09:42 PM PST
"There is no space to fall apart and the terror of ruining the Holidays for people you love because of your emotional mess is debilitating at times. I want to be okay but I don't want to pretend. I miss you. I miss your eyes – seeing how you saw our children. These particles of us that have become so much more than reflections of our own selves. I need someone else to exclaim over the growth and change and wonder of watching babies become children and children become more adult. I need to step back and observe you loving on them, observe your adoration and enthusiasm for their lives and beings. I get so caught up in the daily overwhelming of caring for their needs that I forget to see them in the whole. I miss the rhythm of our life together and I can't keep up with this new life with which I'm left. I wish I didn't have to do this without you."

On Micro-Conversations:
Posted: 11 Dec 2015 09:28 AM PST
"The idea of inner-sobriety–confronting pain, rejecting addiction, and walking into forgiveness and healing–is not meant to be unpacked in that Big Idea, conference-circuit world. The idea of inner-sobriety (the coming clean from all addictions) is best suited for an authentic, smaller community, for firesides or dinner-tables, for back-porches and rocking chairs. It is best suited for tiny and continuing conversations, for micro-conversations. In the micro-conversation, we look into each other's eyes. In the micro-conversation, we field confessions, dry tears, walk from isolation and into accountable community. The micro-conversations facilitate healing. At least, that's been my experience."

 On Stylish Spaces and Making Homes in the Trenchs:
Posted: 19 Dec 2015 09:33 PM PST
Oh gosh, how fun would it be to get some work done here?

Posted: 24 Dec 2015 08:04 PM PST
So fascinating.
On the Second Amendment (for laughs):
Second Amendment A Little Creeped Out By How Obsessed Americans Are With It
Posted: 07 Dec 2015 09:34 PM PST
"Look, I understand that I'm a constitutional amendment and there's a lot of admiration that comes with that, but that doesn't mean you have to completely worship me this way. It's not healthy. Maybe try to find something else to focus on—there are other amendments, too, you know?
Noteworthy Quotes:
A Franciscan Benediction that I read today in Phillip Yancey's book, Prayer.
"May God bless us with discomfort at easy answers, half-truths, and superficial relationships, so that we may live deep within our hearts.
May God bless us with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that we may work for justice, freedom and peace.
May God bless us with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation and war, so that we may reach out our hands to comfort them and turn their pain into joy.
And may God bless us with enough foolishness to believe that we can make a difference in this world, so that we can do what others claim cannot be done."

Noteworthy Videos:


Enjoy!

No comments: