Saturday, January 30, 2016

What I Learned in January

 

It's the end of the month, so Emily's asking what we learned. Here's what I learned in January:

1. I absolutely love the new year.
 
 {2016 word of the year}

I realized it this year more than I have in the past. I was just really actively looking forward to it. Perhaps because November was really crazy this year and December just always wears me out a bit. And it didn't disappoint. I've really enjoyed thinking about my goals and dreams and ideas for this year, taking stock of the hard emotions, and looking forward to what lies ahead.

2. I absolutely despise is maternity clothes (well, the pants). I feel totally frumpy and just can't even stand to look in the mirror. To be fair, while they fit well around my rapidly expanding tummy they are so baggy still on my twelve year old boy butt and I know in a month or so I'll be glad for them. Still, they aren't my favorite and I'd like to spend as much of this pregnancy as possible in dresses and leggings (and yoga pants and gym shorts).

3. Having (relatively minor in the overall scheme of things) health issues can be frustrating and exhausting but not knowing what is causing the symptoms or when they will flare up is much more of a challenge for me.
I've been dealing with a lot of headaches and some dizziness and a while back I passed out. The symptoms had started to make me a little anxious so I called my OB and I ended up in urgent care on Wednesday and today they called and said they were referring me to a neurologist, which is a little scary in one sense. In another sense, headaches have been part of my life for so long, it's probably something I need to go ahead and do. Honestly, though, the worst thing is not dealing with the symptoms it's the fact that I really can't predict at all when the dizziness will hit and having no idea what's causing it. It just feels like I'm very much not in control. Which of course I'm not. But I like to play like I am.

4. A brisket sandwich is one of my favorite things in the world.
I cooked a brisket recently when we had some friends over and honestly, as much as I love the meal, I prefer the leftovers. Since I was about Annie's age, a brisket sandwich has been one of my favorite things in the whole world. And it's one of maybe three things that I enjoy just as much when I cook it myself as when Minnie cooks it.

5. I should NEVER run with an ostrich (according to Annie).
Because humans run so much slower than ostriches and then I'd be behind the ostrich and he would most likely kick me. It would only be okay if I was in a "motor vehicle".

6. In June, we'll be adding...
While it's been a little hard on Graves and while I have LOVED being a momma to a boy, I'm really so excited about our new girl, as I've been referring to her.

There you go. It's always fun to reflect on the month and any insights it's brought.


No comments: