Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Weekly Happenings Post #375 ((June 6-12)-- The Arrival of a Sister Baby

Well, this was a fun one to look back on and finish up for sure! A LOT happened this week- we had our first swim meet, had company one night, Cookie and Conrad came into town for her best friend's wedding and WE HAD A BABY!

I woke up feeling not very great on Monday. The kids and Peyton headed to swim practice and I laid back down. I couldn't go back to sleep so I went ahead and took my bath, straightened a little, got on the computer, and made our bed. I just felt terrible. Peyton and the kids got home and they had their media time. I honestly rested most of the morning. We talked some and I texted with a friend and then Peyton played with the kids and I took a nap and had lunch.

 I washed and set up this great playmat thing I loved when Annie and Graves were babies- save all the missing toys and one of the two bars- we found other toys that would work and I was hoping that the the laid back disposition (hahaha) that God used Graves to help develop in me would continue to grow to grow as our family does. Graves put Bathtime Baby (his Ava) in it and also crawled in and demonstrated how he thought she'd laugh and bat the toys. Annie had told me that she couldn't wait to read to the baby a bunch and she was already trying to decide what would be her first books Graves quickly followed by saying he couldn'tto tickle her a bunch but he promised not to touch her booty

Peyton went to swim laps and I straightened around the house and folded and put up a load of laundry. I also hung up a bunch of the kids' clothes that had been building up in our room. I swept the kitchen and consolidated dishes and while I was doing that Graves made a huge mess with baby powder. I was so frustrated. I cleaned it up and read a few blogs and Peyton got home. I had a snack and worked on a post and then we all got ready for the swim meet that evening. Peyton packed a cooler and we got the kids ready and headed to the meet. We had SO much fun.

 So proud of my very own little Briarwood Dolphins. They did great in their first ever swim meet! 

I really did love it but there's no crazy like swim meet crazy, I'm pretty sure. Think this picture embodies it well! 

Annie was on a relay and some of the other little girls could make it across the pool by themselves but she couldn't. At the last minute I heard "Coach Brady" say "someone needs to be in the pool with her!" He was on the other end of the pool and I watched him run toward her end, throw down the crutch he's using for some injury I've yet to figure out, discard the removable brace thing on his leg that he takes off to coach in the pool, and jump in to catch her and help her make it the length of the pool. They were both pretty out of breath by the end of the lap! It was a truly precious moment made infinitely more so because of what a full circle moment it was. Back when I thought Peyton was super old (I mean I was fifteen and he was in college!) and a total nerd, Brady was three and his older brother Charlie (who is the Dolphin's head coach now!) was five and they were literally the cutest little boys I'd ever seen in my life. Because I'm no good at keeping things to myself, I'll even admit that they made me want my own little boy one day and I even toyed with the idea of naming him Charlie. Now they are wonderfully kind college aged grown men who still say "yes ma'am" to me and who are jumping in the pool in a heartbeat to take care of my babies. I'm married to that huge nerd who I always saw enjoying playing with the tiny people at the pool and suspected would be an amazing father and I have my own little Dolphins who (in my biased opinion) rival the King boys in cuteness. I'm (still, ha!) SO hormonal but there are no words to articulate what a special place Briarwood is. I hope Annie and Graves (and Sister Baby) love it as much as we did!

 Additionally, there's a "Coach Annie" who "little Annie" is understandably very fond of. And this guy is quite smitten with Coach Josaline, who he refers to as "Coach Vasaline". Also, he full on sobbed the length of the pool and then told me it was "very fun" and that he was disappointed he only got to swim in one event. The Herringtons feel things very deeply.

A few more of my favorite shots:

We stopped at Bops afterward and got ice cream for a treat and then came home and got the kids settled. We unloaded the car and then I bathed Graves and brushed his teeth (I was planning to help Annie do all that later but she fell asleep a lot faster than usual) and unpacked our bags, cleaned out the cooler, and took out the kitchen trash. I did a ton of dishes and then got on the computer and finished a post. I took a bath and ate something and then read blogs for a bit and went to bed.

Peyton took the kids to swim practice again and I slept in a bit on Tuesday. I got up around nine and texted Peyton's mom (she had texted to check on us for a baby update). I sent a friend a FB message and read some blogs and messaged another friend. I talked to Minnie on the phone, had breakfast, and started some laundry. Peyton and the kids stopped by to get some pencils and paper they had forgotten and then headed to nature journal with the homeschool group. I made my list for the day, took my bath, and made up our bed. I straightened our room and put batteries in a sound machine.

Peyton and the kids got home and we talked and they had lunch. I ate something and read a few blogs and worked on a post and then I got ready to go to my OB appointment. It actually went pretty quickly. I stopped at Walgreens on the way home to pick up some make up and a few things Peyton needed to make muffins. I visited with the pharmacist and another friend I ran into and headed home. I just got so emotional when I got home- the house seemed crazy and Peyton was having the kids clean up but not the way I like and had moved some of my stuff around and then Annie said something that was actually very sweet and I just lost it. They had made muffins and Peyton found a little bear mold he suggested they use and she said I could have the bear muffin "since I didn't get my treat after the OB". I just lost it I thought it was so sweet. I got myself settled down and sort of redid my list for the rest of the day. Peyton and I discussed it and Annie and Graves did a craft.

 The receptionist at the OB asked if there was "just one in there". The receptionist! At the OBSTETRICS CLINIC. Surely she's seen more outlandish things. Good grief. She then refereed to Sister Baby as a linebacker. Grrr...

Peyton cooked supper and I texted with a friend and made some notes on my phone and then I worked on putting the kids' sheets back on their beds (they had made "tents" earlier in the week) and straightening up a few other things. We all ate outside and then I came in and cleaned the kids' bathroom, dusted, organized some books, swept under their beds, and vacuumed. I put up library books and got some clothes put up in their dresser. Peyton bathed the kids and got them ready for bed and I got on the computer and started some laundry.

Peyton tucked Graves in and he and Annie went to the grocery store. I finished cleaning up the kitchen. Peyton had cleaned up most of it but I got the trash and recycling together, swept and cleaned of the table from the craft project the kids did earlier, and did some dishes. I folded and mostly put up a load of laundry and then read a few blogs. Peyton and Annie got home and I had a snack with them. I had some contractions but they fizzled out. I read blogs a bit more and then put up some of the groceries Peyton had left out and folded some clean towels. I dusted in the study, den, and our bedroom and emptied the study and guest bathroom trash. I had a snack and went to bed.

We skipped swim team on Wednesday so we could all get a bit of extra sleep.

still the baby at that point
We were meeting friends at the pool and then having company that night. I actually got up first and finished a blog post and went through my email and reader. I sent a friend a FB message and then had breakfast and took my bath. I dusted the fan in our room and made the bed and Peyton put some stuff in the attic and vacuumed in the den and study, our bedroom, and the guest bathroom while the kids had breakfast. I cleaned the guest bathroom and we got our stuff together and headed to the pool around eleven. We met Carrie and her big kids there (Francie was at school) and stayed for about an hour and a half. Peyton swam some laps and I visited with Carrie and another friend, Megan. We ran by the grocery store to pick up a few last minute things on the way home.

I started some laundry and sat down for a minute and made a fresh list and got to work. Peyton ran an errand and I put up the groceries, scrubbed the kitchen  counters, cleaned off and wiped down the table, cleaned up the mess I made when I broke a clay magnet off the fridge, and did dishes and scrubbed the bathroom floor. I vacuumed and mopped the kitchen and sunroom floor. The kids had a snack and I got to work making a desert. Peyton got home and I changed over the laundry and scrubbed a chair cushion Graves had gotten strawberries all over. Peyton added an extra layer to the dessert and I washed the dishes we had used and then took a quick bath. Minnie dropped by unexpectedly and I visited with her a bit. I made the lime dressing for the tacos we were having that night and and started making some slaw and guacamole. Peyton cut up a watermelon and the kids played outside. I got dressed and ready and finished up the guacamole while Peyton helped me chop up some cabbage to finish making the slaw.

 These two having a "feast".

Owen arrived and I cooked the fish and we ate outside.

 Have I mentioned I love Summer food? I made our new favorite fish tacos; plus some guacamole; and fresh watermelon, peaches, and avocado. Peyton cooked corn on the cob on the grill and we sprinkled powdered Parmesan on it. And I made that insanely easy store bought cake/instant pudding/strawberry/cool whip dessert. So good, so easy! Also, my BFF (who is actually so good at cooking/entertaining/homemaker stuff, unlike myself) told me I was either crazy or super woman for having guests over the day before my due date.

It was really nice and we got to visit a good bit. We ate dessert and then came in and visited some more. Owen left around ten and we got the kids to bed. Peyton fell asleep and I read some blogs and did a bunch of dishes. I got my clothes together for the next day and went to bed really late.

Thursday was fun but I was so tired. We got up and all hustled to get ready and head to swim team. I brought some stuff and during the practice Peyton and I discussed what our upcoming homeschool routine would look like. After swim team, we all had breakfast at Broadstreet and then went by Buffalo Peak to look for a backpack for Annie. We came back to the pool and let the kids play on the playground until it officially opened at eleven and then we meet Carrie and her big kids again to swim for a couple of hours. We got home around one thirty and the kids had lunch and some media time. I got on the computer and went through my email and reader and sent a Facebook message and started a post. Around three something, I made a list and took a bath.

I had such a bad headache and I thought the bath would help. I still felt terrible. I dried my hair, ate something, and rested for a good bit.  I finally got up and started laundry and straightened some. I fixed the kids supper and had a snack and did some dishes. We all went for a late walk to the park and came back and put the kids right to bed. Peyton made us a salad and we watched an SVU and I fell back asleep.

 I told Peyton we probably should just live in a studio apartment since Graves winds up between us half the time, Annie's taken to sleeping in my grandmother's old "love chair", and Sister Baby will be in the PnP. Also, Annie sleeps in her swimsuit most nights because she's NOT a morning person and she likes to take care of as much as possible the night before. Also fun: when a friend who lives in your neighborhood messages you to say they saw your husband and seven year old taking a walk at ten pm.

I got up at five in the morning on Friday and ate a snack and did a few things and went back to bed until seven thirty. We got up and got ready for swim team and fixed our hair crazy for crazy hair day and even took our family picture. During swim team, Peyton and I had another "meeting". This time we both made to-do lists for each other.

 Crazy Hair Day at swim team and y'all, Graves decided the best kind of crazy hair would be BODY HAIR. Also, the kids swam with a friend who is much more proficient and the peer pressure was SO good for them. Annie swam in the twelve foot deep end- two weeks ago she wouldn't let P take his hands off her in the four foot area. And sweet Graves was the Dolphin of the Week.

We stopped by the bank on the way home to cash a check and then the kids had media time and Peyton relaxed and I ran to Target for something. I was having some contractions in the store so I came on home and ate something.

 I went to Target in stubby pigtails and Peyton's Snoopy shirt. Winning.
The kids played in the kiddie pool outside and I got on the computer. I went through my reader, checked email, responded to some FB messages, and uploaded pictures from my phone and backed them up. I started laundry and fixed the kids and myself grilled cheeses and then did a bunch of dishes and folded some towels. I changed over the laundry and talked to Peyton and then he vacuumed out the car and bathed the kids while I responded to some more sweet texts and Facebook messages.

We got ready and ran by the bank again to deposit a check we had forgotten on the first trip and then we picked up a couple of things from Peyton's parents' house. We headed over to my parents' house. We saw Cookie and Conrad for a few minutes while they were getting ready for the rehearsal and then we just visited and ate supper. We left pretty early and ran by Academy Sports and Walmart to look for swimsuits for the kids and  then came home and got them to bed. I texted my sister in law, read some blogs, and wrote a post. I had a snack and went to bed.

Peyton was off on Saturday due to a miscommunication. He had asked his boss to have some back up lined up for the weekend and they just went ahead and covered the shift. Anyway, it ended up being a nice fun day all together. We got up and I was all sorts of edgy but I took my bath and got on the computer for a bit and Peyton fixed some muffins and tea and I felt better.

 They werelready spinning the party light.  And who knew sinus pressure sucks harder than 4 cm, +1 station baby pressure??

As I mentioned, there was a miscommunication when Peyton asked his boss to have some backup lined up for this weekend and the scheduler just got him off for that day (it was a "great mistake" according to Annie). Voluntary Simplicity made it possible for him to only have to work SEVEN days that month. It was so amazing having him here with us so much. Even on the hard days, I do really love this life that we've carved out for ourselves and that God has generously given us.

I made a list for the day. The kids played a good bit by themselves and we just talked a bunch. I collected laundry, put up and washed a few dishes, and made ours and the kids beds. I swept some in the laundry room and cleaned up a sticky spot in the kitchen and around noon we headed to the pool.

It was sprinkling when we got there and we probably got twenty minutes in and it thundered. Peyton got to swim some laps but he was dissapointed he had to stop because he was doing so well. And the kids were actually not TOO upset to leave (maybe because we had been living at the pool). We ran a couple of errands- to Old Navy for that bathing suit and to the farmer's market near our house. We went and got sno cones and then headed home. The kids played and Peyton worked outside and I got on the computer for a bit. I read some blogs and then I rested on the couch a little. I got up and Peyton went to do some recycling and pick up something from the grocery store. The kids rode their bikes and I cooked a good bit.

Some days, I are for laying on the couch and gestating. Some days are for making peach cobbler, guacamole, and pomegranate pops.

Peyton fixed the kids supper and I did a ton of dishes and swept the kitchen. We got them settled and then I got on the computer again. I did English with Annie and read blogs and started a post and then ate something. While I was eating, I started having some pretty hard contractions. I timed them and realized this was probably it! I had hoped and prayed SO HARD that I'd have the baby while Cookie was in town. It was past midnight at that point and I was glad Peyton had gotten a couple of hours of sleep. I woke him up and he sort of freaked out. He called his dad to come over and watch the kids. I was glad they were already asleep. His dad got to our house and we had been getting stuff together so we left immediately.

Here's where it gets SO crazy. We drove to the hospital and my contractions tappered off a bit and then picked up. When we were almost at the hospital, the car totally messed up. The clutch stopped working at a light. He called his dad and tried to figure out what to do. Finally he was able to jam it into first gear and then second and somehow we coasted to the hospital, not even stopping at red lights. We made it and got checked in and I was having BAD contractions. They took awhile to check me but when they finally did I was at a six. We texted Cookie and Carrie. Carrie decided not to come since it was so late and Cookie was here. Cookie and Minnie headed over. I was in this admitting/observational room and after that they quickly sent me upstairs. I was really glad to get in a real room and get settled. The contractions picked up and were super hard. Cookie arrived and I was so happy to see her. I've written out all the details of the labor, but I worked on getting sweet Sarah Lamar here from about one thirty to four. That seems SO short now but it was a HARD three hours, counting that anxiety inducing ride and the frustrating check in.  At one point Peyton left to get the car towed.

I nursed Sallie and she did so wonderfully and stayed on for maybe half an hour. The wonderful thing, as I've said, about natural birth is the way your body goes right back to normal. After they sewed up my tear, I went to the bathroom and got dressed and headed to a recovery room quickly. It was REALLY nice to get settled there. I felt great and they took the baby to the nursery to get the rest of her antibiotics and we rested some. That was probably around five.

We got up around seven on Sunday and talked and I nursed the baby and then we went back to sleep until maybe nine. We finally named her and took a picture with the iPhone and put it on Facebook.


 Peyton ran to get some snacks for both of us and they brought my breakfast up. I ate and we just hung out and watched TV. I took a bath around eleven and Mickey came by for a visit. I nursed Sallie again and Peyton and I talked and then his mom picked him up and took him to their house so he could get the kids and borrow a car for a couple of days. I enjoyed my afternoon alone with our New Girl. I took a lot of pictures and texted some friends and Cookie and Minnie. I made a bunch of notes on my phone for the birth story post. I got on Facebook some and she ate several times.

58th percentile and she was nursing like a CHAMP and was super low key and loved to snuggle.

Around six, Peyton brought the big kids to meet their sister. They had a great little visit and headed home for the night.

 Introductions. Annie was intrigued. Graves was smitten. Babykins was blowing bubbles. Also, maybe I shouldn't have been so offended by the receptionist who said Sister Baby was going to be a linebacker.

 Graves told Peyton in the parking lot as they were leaving that he "missed da baby". Then when Peyton offered them unlimited screen time because he was so tired and really hadn't had a chance to recover from from the night before Graves said "well, you know what's funnner than lots of TV? That baby!". Annie told us that she read in a book that newborns can only see about twelve inches in front of them so we should probably get close to her when we talk to her. She also said "My name is Ann Peyton but I like it when people call me Annie. But you probably won't be able to call me anything for awhile. And she told me that Sallie's hair feels like a kitty cat's fur.

I fed the baby again and watched some TV. I called Minnie and we talked for awhile and then we got settled.


 Settling in for the night. Or the next two hours. Whichever. I've had a little bit of strong pain tonight for the first time since the delivery (again, what I LOVE about natural birth is that I was talking and laughing as they were stitching my tear and up and walking- and back in my gym shorts- within ten minutes) but once the pregnancy and birth were behind us, there wasn't a single part of this I didn't love. I was soaking it all in!

I slept some and she did great through the night mostly. She did have a hard stretch around midnight. I looked over my email and read a few blogs, typed up my happenings for the past day, and wrote a short post at around two in the morning.

I feel a little more caught up (even though I'm still ten weeks behind now!) now that we're not in pre-Sallie land anymore! 

No comments: