Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Granny: Remembering a Life of Love and Labor


I've mentioned it in passing I think, but the Church Triumphant gained a new member this past month.

I began taking trips to visit Granny (albeit not as frequently as we have been in recent weeks/months) with Peyton when we started dating. She made me laugh so hard and made me feel so loved. It was such an honor to know her for the past twelve years and the truest privilege to get to introduce Ann Peyton, Graves, and Sarah Lamar to her.

It's been a source of real heartache over the years that I didn't get to share them with my own very special grandmother who I was so close to. So the significance of the fact that they were known and loved by a great grandmother and, in Annie and Graves's case, knew and loved a great grandmother is not lost on me. It's something I'll never ever take for granted. I am so thankful for her influence in their lives, Peyton's life, and my own life.

Labor Day was the perfect day to celebrate the life of Granny. She and PopPop were the two hardest workers most of us knew. I overheard Aunt Beth sharing that she went into labor with her while picking butter beans. And PopPop used to work on his farm, then do his factory shift, and then come home and rock my father in law.

Their legacy lives on every time Peyton works a twelve hour shift and then comes home and nutures our little ones and in the way my wonderful sister in law pours her heart into mothering my beautiful niece and nephews that are bookending our three in this, my new favorite picture below.

I hope it lives on in these six as they learn to read and cook and garden and rock their own babies one day and more than anything else serve others and serve the Lord.



No comments: