Wednesday, October 12, 2016

What I'm Into: September

I feel like we're finally starting to find a flow, but it really happened around the end of this month. Anyway, it was a great month and I'm excited for Fall but sad to see Summer go!

On the Nightstand:
I did some more reading this month!

The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer
Back at it with TWTM. I've got a bit more to read and then I'll be finished with the elementary age section!

On Their Nightstand: 

We recently ordered a couple of new (used) books to add to our personal library for the kids (I also got this paper for Annie because it has a big unlined area at the top where she can draw and I'm using it for several things)...
 

A World Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Folktales: Stories from Six Continents by Renanta Bini

The kids have gotten really into fables and folktales and myths and Peyton found this one that looked really fabulous. I'm excited about it!

Can a Bee Sting a Bee? And Other Big Questions from Little People by Gemma Elwin Harris
I have extremely curious small people (I know most are) and this is such a fun book of questions and answers. We're loving it!

On the Shelf:

Simply Good News: Why the Gospel is News and What Makes it Good  by N.T. Wright


I've got to get on this! Probably tomorrow!

At the Theater (or from the couch):
Again, no movies this month :-/

On the Small Screen:

Law and Order: SVU
I mentioned last month that there has been a much bigger focus on the detectives' personal lives lately and wow, that seems to be becoming more and more true. Benson got assaulted, Amaro is dealing with some crazy stuff, and Rollins gambling issues really came to the surface. It's the most interesting it's ever been and it's been one of my favorites shoes since like college.

In My Ears:
I don't even really know. If I'm not going to make monthly playlists maybe I should at least make a Fall one?

Around the House: 

Not much. I haven't even really decorated for Fall! Last year I never got to it and I hope this year won't be more of the same. I do need to go through my Fall decorations and purge more stuff because some of it just isn't my style anymore.

In the Kitchen:

Annie's started fixing her own lunch! I did cut up the apple for her and the space between the turkey and the carrots was two slices of bread and a single she had me use to make a grilled cheese, but we're on our way to big things! Oh, and she got a piece if provolone to eat for a snack while she was making her lunch and then saved the paper for a napkin. Also, my girls are definitely my eaters.

In My Closet: 


 I got this fun dress at Target back in the Summer. It certainly doesn't look very Fall-ish, but I wore it back at the beginning of September and I liked that it was still bright and cool but had a darker background. I think it will be a big staple next Summer (especially since I'm assuming Sallie won't be nursing as much and it's not super breastfeeding friendly). 

In Their Closets:
I just realized that these are all of Sallie and most of them are pajamas! But I LOVE some cute baby pjs! 


In her duckies that she recently outgrew :-/

Annie thought this headband would go great with the thirty year old Feltman dress and the fancy panties. Incidentally, all three items are c/o Minnie.

They are a little loose in the feet but these 6-9 mo. jammies definitely fit my three month old length wise. And she appears pretty big in that bouncy seat. Where did this girl come from?!? And also STOP. Imma put a brick on your head, Babykins. (Random quirk: I love when her paci happens to coordinate with her jams).
 
 love her in flowers! 

I subbed recently at one of my favorite places and it worked out great because I had a really nice lunch break and Graves's Little Gym class is five minutes from the school so I met them there to nurse Sarah Lamar (the class is full of moms who are also doulas and are like "don't worry about a cover!" 👍). So, I didn't have to haul my pump! And, because the timing was perfect and girlfriend knows how to compensate later, she actually didn't even need a bottle the rest of the time. But y'all. Look what Peyton put Sister Baby in. He was like "it was in her drawer". Her PAJAMA drawer, Bro. As a back up pair, at that. Whatever. He took them all to the class and then swimming and later did a pointillism project with the big ones. Can't complain. But it works better when Sallie gets dressed with her momma's help.

 In My Mailbox:

Well, Sallie's about to be four months old and I'm about to send out the birth announcements. Almost as bad as when I was pregnant with Annie and still writing wedding thank you notes. And our Christmas cards, without fail, goes out at the eleventh hour every year. I'm just bad at this stuff. In my defense, I messed the picture up on the first round of these. It was entirely my fault but the folks at Simply to Impress were beyond amazing to work with and so helpful. It will not be the last time I use this company!
In My Cart:
Guysssss. Peyton bought Granny's old van from his aunt. We were talking a few weeks ago and I was saying if he ever finally got me a minivan he should put a big bow on it and surprise me like people do with fancy cars. He couldn't hold out though- he kept mentioning things we'd do "when we got our van" (like be able to navigate Jackson potholes better and store our big stroller in it) and I was like "you're talking about this like it's a definite thing- are we for sure getting one eventually?!?" And then he told me and I keep saying things like "Really?!? Are you serious? Is this really happening??" Which is exactly what I do every time a baby has come out of me and when he proposed. Over a van y'all. Not to brag, but I'm kinda low maintenance.

Around the Town (and At Home):  


Well, the biggest thing was Granny's funeral. It could have been a very sad day and I did tear up, but honestly it felt good to celebrate her life and be around friends and family. I'm so grateful for the faithful, beautiful life she lived.

One night at eleven o'clock. Making a chocolate cake and listening to Bob Marley in this number Minnie wore when ahe was young. Peyton's idea. I feel asleep shortly after this with my face literally on a magazine(?!?). This is why we can't be anywhere where we need to have our hair brushed before ten AM.

Goofy guy headed off to Little Gym with and his Papa while the girls and I tried to get some school and laundry done.
We had a supper date with the Harkins! Sweet little Sallie and Skip. Skip's brother said "Look! He found somebody to marry!" I wouldn't hate it!
Brother and Babes on a blanket from Minnie. These two are such good buddies. 

Sal don't care who it is holding her, even if they are not impressed. Thanks for taking one for the team, Annie!
(Pre-van) church prep. Purse, activity bag, diaper bag, and breakfast for that hour in the Walgreens parking lot. For the most part, I've come a long way as far as my over packing tendencies but Sundays are REAL SERIOUS. Usually I consolidate the diaper bag and my purse but Sallie needs to be stocked for a couple of hours without me and I need my glasses, wallet, and all my make-up because I literally don't even start to apply it until I have that hour to kill. Graves needs every bit of that crap in the bag on the far right in order to be quiet and sit still for an hour. And a groovy flower power cooler thing just makes sense to pack a bunch of fruit, graham crackers, water bottle, pumpkin seeds, craisins, and Ritz crackers in. Sometimes Voluntary Simplicity means strategizing.

At the Schoolhouse:

We've been trucking right along but I don't have too much to share. We did decided to wait a bit with math for Bud. I'm very, very okay with spending two years doing kindergarten with him if he needs that so I'm not really stressed at all. As far as Annie, some days it's so smooth and I have no worries and other days it's super difficult and I get very anxious. Like most everything, I guess =)

On the Blog:
Post-Partum Check In: Three Months Out - I decided each month when I write Sallie's letter I'll share a little update about myself, too. It was fun and helpful to write out some of my thoughts and feelings. As I mentioned, it's sort of like my every five week reflective pregnancy posts were. It's just a good brain/soul dump. 
Granny: Remembering a Life of Love and Labor - Granny totally deserved her own post (and a lot more). I miss her deeply and I'm so grateful for her influence on our lives.

On My Heart and Mind:
- Peyton's been helping me get more organized and it feels like we're finally, finally finding some semblance of a routine. I feel like once we get back from camping I can really get into a stride until things get busy around Christmas.
- Peyton pointed out recently that he thought I didn't realize how much Sarah Lamar wears me out and I realized her was right. Especially when she has a tough day it's just draining and I don't think I realize the impact as much as I do with the big kids for some reason (it's exactly the opposite for Peyton).
- I've had some bad headaches again (they had seemed to have gotten better after Sallie was born) and I usually always get one big sinus infection around this time of year. I had/have one, I think, but it's been relatively mild. Hopefully this is it for sickness and we'll all stay healthy this Winter. P gave me my flu shot and the kids are getting theirs this week.
In My Prayers:
- I'm praying about our upcoming trip- just that it will be a sweet, relaxing time together and that I won't lose my mind.
- I'm thanking God that the medicine I got on awhile back really seems to be working and also that I feel relatively peaceful about our family size for right now.
- I'm thanking God for Fall. Summer is my absolute favorite but it stretches so long in Mississippi and I'm always ready for the chill in the air.
 
On the Calendar: 

The big thing is we're going camping this month. We have a few other fun things on the agenda, but not too much, thankfully! 

So, there's September (two weeks late).

No comments: