Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Weekly Happenings Post #386 (August 22-28)-- Meeting Jill the Bird


We had a good, relatively normal week for the last full week of August. We took another trip to see Granny and Annie got to meet a friend of Minnie's new bird! And I loved listening to my own little "Baby Bird" figuring out how to make new sounds!

Monday was a good, busy day. We all got up and had breakfast and the kids cleaned up their room and Peyton and I straightened around the house some, too. I got on the computer and got ready for the day and then had lunch and Peyton did some school with Graves.

We all got ready and headed to the science day with the homeschool group and then left there and headed to Granny's. We had a great visit and after changing an awful blow out diaper right as we were leaving, got on the road back home.
 He can't get enough snuggles with Babes 

Y'all. This little gal has some loooong legs. Doesn't get that from me!
We ate in the car and when we got home we let the kids have some media time and then got them to bed. Peyton and I did a few things around the house and I got on the computer. I wrote a quick post read some blogs and tried to decide on a Tula to buy and then went to bed.

Tuesday was pretty good. We stayed home most of the day and got a lot of school stuff done. Peyton and the kids got up and had breakfast and I got up at nine and took my bath and got on the computer. I changed, dressed, and fed Sallie and then dried my hair. I ate breakfast and the kids finished cleaning up their room and had media time. I started some laundry and put up dishes and Peyton did Five in a Row with the kids. I fed Sallie again and did math and English with Annie and Peyton did math and English with Graves. Then they had free time and I uploaded pictures, read some blogs, and sent an email and Facebook message.

Peyton mowed the yard and I went through a big pile of stuff in our room, did a bunch of dishes, put fresh sheets on our bed, and scrubbed the tubs, toilets, and sinks and then cleaned the bathroom floors and emptied trash. The kids ate supper and Peyton took a shower. We all got ready to go to Toys R Us to use a gift card we had. We ended up going to two different Targets after that and got home late. We got the kids settled and visited some and then I got on the computer for awhile.

We had a good day on Wednesday and got a lot done, I felt like. I got up around nine and got my bath, got on the computer, ate breakfast, and started a load of laundry. I made up Graves's bed and then started math with Annie. Peyton did English with Graves and then I did math with him and Sallie woke up. Peyton and Annie cleaned out the car and vacuumed it and I fed, changed, and dressed Sallie and finished math with Graves. We had lunch and they had a bit of rest time and then I got some thank you notes ready to mail, read a few blogs, made our bed, and changed over laundry. We all got ready and went over to P's parents' house to visit. Annie also interviewed them for a project and then we met Elizabeth and her kids at the park. We had a fun time until it started raining. We headed home and picked up a pizza on the way. We had to wait and Sallie was screaming and then Graves started crying he was so thirsty. Peyton went in and bought him a drink and we came home and ate and then he bathed the big kids and took them to the library while Sallie and I hung out.

They got home and Peyton got Graves settled and read to him and I did a bunch of English with AP (grammar, memory work, spelling words, phonics, a game, a worksheet, a lesson on editing, a brainstorming activity, and some typing practice). I read some blogs and had a snack and then worked on some thank you notes and got two packages ready to mail. I wrote a quick post and took a shower and went to bed.

Peyton had a few things going on on Thursday, but we had a good day. I got up later than usual and fed Sallie, took my bath, got on the computer, and ate breakfast. Peyton had already fixed the big kids breakfast and they got their room mostly clean and started their media time. I made our bed and Graves's and put up a few things in their room, collected laundry, and started a load. Peyton left to meet a friend for lunch and run some errands. I bathed Sallie and then fixed the big kids grilled cheeses. I folded a bunch of dish towels and bath towels and then I did Graves's math and tried to start Annie's. She got frustrated and we came to a standstill for a bit. She finally did some mental math and I washed dishes and scrubbed down the kitchen counters.They had a break and Peyton got home. We talked and then Annie did some more math and I had lunch and read some blogs. Peyton worked in the yard and hung out with Graves. I fed Sallie and then Peyton got ready to go to a pharmacy dinner.

The big kids played and I fed, changed, and settled Sallie, straightened some, and fixed them supper. While they ate, I wiped down some gross areas in the fridge and grated soap and made laundry detergent. Sallie was a little cranky off and on. I got the big kids settled (Graves had gotten some fruit juice on his hands and it was stinging them) and then swept in the kitchen and started a load of clothe diapers washing. I organized some stuff I had been meaning to and then Peyton got home. I put up a bunch of groceries he had picked up and we talked and then I finished a post and read some blogs and went to bed.

The kids and I slept pretty late on Friday. I fixed their breakfast and then fed, changed, and dressed Sarah Lamar. I texted with a friend, had my breakfast, got on the computer, and made our bed. I took my bath and the kids straightened their room and had media time.

Y'all know by now that I'm not inherently crafty but I guess back to school has got me feeling the need to pull out my old teacher hat. Worked smashingly with Annie who is a perfectionist and gets totally overwhelmed by the night party carnage (and who was really protesting the most); Bud still gets distracted and just wants to play until you tell him that media time is starting in five minutes and he'll miss Star Wars and then be does the whole thing like the Road Runner.

I did a few things and read some blogs and then Annie did part of a math worksheet and I worked with Graves on his math. I changed Sallie and fixed them grilled cheese sandwiches and I fixed myself one and right then Sallie started crying. I tried to feed and burp her but she wouldn't really settle. I finally put her down in the Pack N Play so I could eat and after I went back several times to put her paci in, she finally fell asleep. I talked to a friend a bit and then did some more school with the big kids.

Saturday ended up being a weird day. The kids got up around nine and I fixed them yogurt and laid back down for a bit. They ate and played a little and then cleaned their room. Minnie called and wanted to take Annie over to a friend of hers house to see her new bird she had just gotten. I had planned a good day of school but I agreed, of course. I collected some laundry, helped the kids in their room, made our bed, and ate something and got on the computer. I also had to figure out about the carseat situation. I didn't think my mom had a booster for Annie and she debated going out to Clinton to get ours from Peyton. Then I texted his parents' to see if she could borrow theirs but they weren't home. She finally went to Target and got one and THEN we realized she had the Herrington's in her car all along from some other time. Oh my gosh! I finally got my bath and then the kids and I did morning school. We read a good bit of history and the Bible lesson. They ate something and Minnie arrived and we visited and then she and Annie left. Graves was disappointed so I let him watch a bit more Star Wars and I fed Sallie and worked on a blog post.

Whenever I see a picture of her like this I laugh so hard thinking about the receptionist at the OB who predicted Sister Baby would be a linebacker the week before my due date. She probably doesn't seem that big to anyone else, but she feels huge compared to my first two!

We both had a snack and I fed Sallie again and then I did a little math with him. He played and I started washing dishes.

Minnie and Annie got back and Minnie visited for a bit and then Annie and Graves played with kinetic sand and I did more dishes.

What a special visit! She wore her bird dress and asked me all morning when Minnie would get here. She LOVED meeting "Jill" and told us all about how she drank lemonade. She did tell me that she didn't want to stay TOO long because she might miss Graves (who was already missing her before she left and how told me this morning he missed Sallie while she was in the nursery for three hours- they're all a little co-dependent, haha). I told her just to talk to Minnie about it before they got there and I was sure she'd understand. She said "oh, I'm sure she will- Minnie knows how much I like Graves!".

Pretty little things 

 I read a Five in a Row book to them and then we started working on a family tree project.

We didn't get as much school stuff done as I had hoped but Annie did begin what was apparently going to be consuming project involving our family tree. She did these super involved (though not necessarily "pretty" or even neat) pictures of Peyton dispensing and me serving grilled cheese sandwiches (vocational goals, yo). This is one area of homeschooling I've really started to ponder. My kids are so slowwwww. In one sense, it's concerning because the world is not going to slow down for them and the end goal (or one of them) is for them to be able to function in it. But in another sense, I really have no desire for them to adopt the pace most of our society functions at, that many in our culture claim is necessary. Like everything, I'm sure there's a balance to be found somewhere. 

I fed Sallie but had a hard time getting her settled. I changed her and bathed her and finally got her settled down and warmed up some leftovers for supper for the big kids. They ate and then brushed and flossed and bathed. Peyton got home and we talked and I did dishes, ate supper, and folded some laundry. I packed our breakfast, activity bag, and diaper bag for church and got everyone's clothes laid out. Peyton and I chatted and went to bed.

I felt pretty bad on Sunday- physically and emotionally. Just drained and tired and sad. I really had to make myself get up and I seriously contemplated just missing church. I did get myself and Sallie ready, though, and fixed Annie's hair. We dropped Peyton off and the hour in the parking lot seemed really long despite that the big kids were more well behaved than usual and Sallie slept a good bit. We finally got to church and I did feel some better. Sunday school was nice and the kids did SO well during church and I really got to listen to the sermon. We came home and they had media time and I sent an email about some messed up birth announcements (I had to take and upload some pictures, too).

With Annie I was SO strict about TV the first couple of years. With Graves, I had a toddler and was understandably less so. Today I let Babes watch The Empire Strikes back during some brother snuggles. Third child much?

I finished a blog post and started a new one and then had lunch. Sallie woke up and I fed her and then fixed something for the big kids. I collected laundry and changed it over and then folded some.

I heard a crash and then he brought me the shower curtain, rod, and liner. Grrr, GRAVES.

That is a piece of our kitchen table, y'all. The funny/ironic thing is, he had the best morning he's ever had at church. Literally. He was relatively quiet and still during the service- not the way Annie is, but exceptional for him on his best day. And his Sunday school teacher bragged on how sweet and responsible he was helping out a new little girl. AND he left all his action figures in a bag on a hook like I instructed him to- he told me he really wanted to obey me. But when we got home I found him slinging around a jug of chocolate milk and then the shower curtain and then this. Annie said the chocolate milk would have been the worst if it had busted but he said the table was because a nail came out and if you stepped on it "it could bleed you". Honestly, we are realizing on the daily he's a lot more perceptive than her and has loads more common sense. I wouldn't trade either of them.

The kids played awhile and then I fixed them supper, fed Sallie again, and did dishes. We all got ready and picked up Peyton. The kids fell asleep on the way and we picked up Newks. Annie and Graves both woke back up. Peyton and I watched TV and visited and ate. I went to bed a little after midnight.

Finishing up August and on to September next! 

No comments: