Sunday, January 15, 2017

Healthy Ambirtions: 2017 Goals


As I shared, my word for 2017 is well. So that, of course, is what I'm trying to structure many of my 2017 goals around.

I want to do simple, silly things that it feels ridiculous to be in my thirties and not be doing (like washing my face before bed). I want to do things for my physical health (like figuring out how to get on top of my headaches) and I want to do things for my mental health (like making sure I don't get isolated and finding the balance between some personal, introvert time and pushing myself to engage and even initiate). And I want to  do things for my physical health (like exercising and prioritizing sleep) that also help keep me mentally healthy. Honestly, when I think about it, there's not a physical thing on this list that won't help me get, and stay, in a better place mentally.

I really liked my focus areas last year so I'm keeping them and adding adding a new category at the end. My eleventh focus area is

Half the list is repeats- some need more work and some are things that are on-going and I want to remind myself to keep including them in my monthly goaling. They may well appear year after year. 

Focus Areas for 2017:
1. Faith
2. Family
3. Relationships
4. Health
5. Creativity/Passion
6. Education/Edification
7. Organization
8. Travel
9. Finances
10. Joy/Gratitude

Faith
I want to focus on God's unconditional love and live a life aware of his grace.
1. Join Northside.
2. Get in the habit of reading a devotion in the morning and in the evening.
3. Search for God in the everyday.
4. Study the Bible more.
5. Alternatively, simply read the Bible more.
6. Ponder the mysteries of faith.

Family
I want to value those closet to me and help them to feel how valued they are.
7. Maximize the time Peyton and I spend together.
8. Set specific goals for the children.
9. Further cultivate relationships with Cookie and Peyton's siblings.
10. Observe my family member's unique personalities, gifts, and weaknesses and use that knowledge to serve them.
11.  Practice patience and flexibility.

Relationships
I want to elevate people above activities, obligations, and most importantly possessions.
12. Prioritize people over "accomplishing things".
13. Spend time with people in ways that are meaningful and that make sense.
14. Send snail mail more frequently.
15. Prioritize our children's friendships.
16. Refuse to allow myself to get isolated.
17. Find  the balance between introvert time and social time.
18. Be proactive in connecting with people. 

Health
I want to form long term, sustainable habits that will help me become, and stay, physically and mentally well.
19. Work on altering my lifestyle to try to significantly decrease my headaches. 
20. Go see a doctor (or doctors) about these headaches. 
21. Establish patterns of silence and stillness in my day.
22. Get in some sort of exercise routine.
23. Continue to make more and more healthy food choices.
24. Cut back on sugar and caffeine.
25. Eat a big breakfast on the days when Peyton is home.
26. Wear sunscreen daily.
27. Wash my face every morning and every night.
28. Color occasionally.
29. Burn seasonal candles. 

Creativity/Passion
I want to make time and space for the things that make me feel happy and alive.
30. Search for, and surround myself with, inspiration.
31. Determine which hobbies and passions are worthy of my time and how much time is appropriate to devote to them in this season.
32. Continue to write regularly.
33. Submit my writing to publications (online or otherwise) I admire.
34. Enjoy Instagram as an outlet, while not letting it become consuming
35. Try to get dressed for the day more frequently (*).

Education/Edification
I want to be a life long learner and model this well for my children.
36. Read three memoirs.
37. Study personality theory.
38. In addition to my devotions (a few minutes each), daily read Scripture and spend at a minimum fifteen minutes reading something else interesting (that's not online).
39. Most days. read aloud to the children for half an hour (combined) at a minimum.
40. Work hard to complete books that I start (assuming I am enjoying them).
41. Read at least two books with Peyton.
42. Participate in quarterly book club.
43. Watch five documentaries.
44. Find and listen to podcasts more frequently.
45. Learn exactly one new skill that I can do with my hands. 
46. Teach myself how to use this the curling wand Cookie gave me for Christmas. (**).

Organization
I want to create, and maintain, more physical and mental space.
47. Continue to improve my time management skills.
48.  Back up everything on the computer and wipe it out.
49. Get back in the habit of organizing pictures when I upload them.
50. Organize pictures into Facebook albums a couple of times a month.  
51. Continue to purge our possessions.
52. Make time each week to plan activities for the coming week, plan school for the coming week, and plan meals for the coming week.
53. Be very discriminating in the activities we commit to and the purchases we make.
54. Figure out ways to make cooking more manageable and organized.
55. Become more systematic in my approach to my wardrobe.
56. Further improve my notebook/listmaking systems. 

Travel
I want to enjoy the beautiful world God has created.
57. Plan extremely well for our month long trip to New York.
58. Enjoy our month in New York and find ways to experience as little stress as possible in an unfamiliar (in some ways, for some of us) setting.
59. Take frequent trips to the farm to camp and play and visit Peyton's parents, who are moving down there.

Finances
I want to live simply and not let money dominate my thinking.
60. Stay within the parameters Peyton and I set for my discretionary spending.
61. Be very intentional about staying on top of documenting my spending.
62. Continue to zero in on my "strategies" as far as spending money.
63. Treat myself to once a month Target visits and dollar bin splurges (under $20 for the whole trip).
64. Treat myself to one eating out experience alone each month.
65. Purge socks and sports bras and buy new ones to restock. 

Joy/Gratitude/Thankfulness
I want to cultivate a spirit of joy and experience gratefulness for all I've been given.
66. Be vulnerable in telling others how thankful I am for them.
67. Surround myself with words, music, and people that bring joy.
68. Challenge myself to hold things loosely.






* This one seems a little weird, yeah? Two things- one, I always hear how getting dressed can help people be more creative and productive and efficient. I'm not sure this is the case at all, but I'm curious to experiment. Two, and this is more important, I have a ton of clothes in my closet that are, in my opinion, cute. This is because I think getting dressed is a fun, creative outlet. Then why don't I do it? Because it's hard? So is everything worth anything. Because it takes effort? So does everything worth anything. If I'm going to only wear gym shorts around the house (and lets face it, right now a lot of life is occurring "around the house) then I might as well get rid of a TON of stuff. And I really don't want to. So I'm trying this.
** This also seems quite shallow, right? Here's the thing- it's a skill. Imma have to watch a few YouTube videos and practice it. I think it'll be fun to try a new hairstyle but it's going to take some effort and I'm not ashamed to be goaling it.

So there are my 2017 goals. I say this EVERY year, but I am going to try to do some updates throughout the year. Hopefully that will happen this go round!

No comments: