Monday, July 10, 2017

Annie's Sketches

Annie got a very nice sketchbook and some permanent(!!!) markers for her birthday from her cousins. "Art" is pretty low key at the Schoolhouse in the Suburbs and this has been such a fun creative outlet for her. They gave it to her right before we left for New York and we encouraged her to use it to document our trip a bit.

I shared these pictures on Instagram and Facebook the other day and I really wanted to share them here. Since it's a pretty big handful of them, I decided it deserved its own post.

Here are a few of my favorite pages:
"The Trip Starts Here"


"The Plane" 

"Waiting to Board the Plane" (with Sallie in a floral bubble and Graves saying a stranger resembled a Star Wars character)


"Our Bed in New York City" (with a shot of the real thing for comparison purposes)

"My Old Rusty Lock" (that she found on a playground in Bed-Stuy)
  
"Bubo Bubo" (an owl she adored at the Bronx Zoo)
 
"A Mini Roller Coaster at Coney Island"

 
(a new chapter she just started) "Life at Mississippi"

and finally, the thank you note she wrote her cousins for the book

I'm under no delusions that she's some fantastic artist, but it's so interesting to see how she perceives things and sketches them out onto the pages of her prized little book. For example, she chose an interesting perspective of the front of P's kayak in the reservoir with an eagle they saw nearly a year ago. I knew that event meant a whole lot to her, but it's fascinating that it was the thing she chose to represent our life here. It's interesting what she even chose to draw from the trip. Some things (the roller coaster and the owl) were somewhat expected and others like her bed and the "rusty old lock" were things that I knew were meaningful to her, but I'm not sure I realized just how significant they were. It's interesting that she included the speech bubble for Graves in the picture of us waiting on the plane. I love that either his words were something that stuck out to her or was something that she wanted to remember. 

She hasn't used it much since we've been back, honestly, and I need to do a better job of encouraging her to do so. It's an exercise she really enjoys and I cherish seeing the ways she finds to express herself.

No comments: