Thursday, July 20, 2017

July Goals and Happenings




This is my very first July ever to not do a patriotic background/header, but that just seemed incredibly stupid at this point in the game. Anyway, this one is one of my least favorites of late. I didn't realize how poorly the off white would look on the white background (um, duh) and it's just not my favorite design in general. The quote and the pictures are predictably special to me, though =)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this is ABSURD. But I'm doing it anyway. It's two thirds way through the month and I'm just now sharing this. My goals for this month are going to be minimal, but I couldn't not update on last month and I couldn't not share about our "happenings. So...here it all is.

June felt very crazy to me, but was super fun.
- We had VBS at Northside and it was just delightful.
- The big kids had swim team practice every morning and we went to several swim meets. It was an incredible experience and I need to write a full post about swim team and the pool in general.
- Peyton went to his pharmacy convention in Florida. I really missed him but holding down the fort was easier than I expected.
- We had Sallie and Evan's joint birthday party. It was super laid back but really sweet.

July has been really fun! We've had a lot going on and it hasn't slowed down as much as I expected.
- We spent ALL day on the Fourth at the pool. Peyton was actually in charge of the celebration and it was really fun but super exhausting.
- We've all had dental appointments, Graves had to go to the after hours clinic for a toe infection, and now Sallie has been running a high fever.
- I took dinner to a friend who had surgery, helped another friend with a project, and attended a launch party for a friend's new business venture.
- We also had City Meet, which Peyton was also in charge of (he's on the board at Briarwood and is president of Jackson Swim Association). He was gone a lot for about three days and that was kind of tiring for all of us. Plus he worked an extra day to make up for the Saturday he took off.
- We also had dinner with some church friends to visit with our interim pastor and we celebrated a little friend's birthday.
- My book club met over here again and that was really fun.
- I think the rest of the month is pretty low key actually and as much fun as all this was, I'm looking forward to it.

Here were my goals for June:

1. Read both my devotions daily. This didn't happen at all like I meant for it to. So that was a fail. (Faith)

2. Have a joint birthday party for Sallie and Evan that's mostly family. We totally did this and like I said it was really fun and sweet. (Family)

3. Continue to prioritize relationships. I actually think I did a really good job with this- bringing food to a friend, supporting another friend's buissness, helping another friend with a project, cooking to the church dinner thing, hosting bookclub, and handling most of the childcare responsibilities to free up P on the Fourth and spending all day at the pool with a baby. (Relationships) 

4. Drink more water and determine a few other healthy habits to work on. I did okay with this but I could have done better. (Health)

5. Get back in a writing habit. Kinda. Again, I could have done a lot better but I could have done a lot worse. (Creativity/Passion) 

6. Finish my bookclub book and host bookclub. I actually finished the book this time. And I did a low key meal of chicken salad and pasta salad and a dessert. It was really fun. (Education/Edification) 

7. Continue to work on organizing the attic. Nope. Not at all. It's just been way too hot and I haven't had the time. (Organization)

8. Stay positive and don't allow myself to get overwhelmed while Peyton is at the convention. I think I did pretty good with this and preparing myself mentally really helped. So did really responsible big kids who generally had good attitudes. (Travel)

9. Don't spend any money on impulse buys this month. YES. I was really proud of myself. (Finances)

10.  Surround myself with music that bring joy. Yes again. Lots of Dire Straights and Bruce. (Joy/Gratitude/Perspective)

11. Go on a date with Peyton. Nope. Again, just too busy. We'll get to it one day ;) (Fun Goal) 

And here are my July Goals. I'm keeping the list itty bitty again and setting the bar pretty low since I'm not working with a whole month here.


1. Read both my devotions daily. I feel like it's been on here for six months but since it's just a couple more weeks, here's to another try. (Faith)

2. Go over to my parents' house by myself. I did this tonight and I enjoyed it so much. My parents love seeing the kids and vice versa but it was SO nice to be able to visit with them uninterrupted.  (Family)

3. Call Ellis. It's been awhile since we've really talked. He did so good about calling when I was the one with new babies and I need to do better now. (Relationships) 

4. Try to cut back on how much OTC medicine I take for headaches. Whew. This is going to be tough. (Health)

5. Keep working on catching up on the blog. Probably forever. (Creativity/Passion)

6. Pick and start a new read-aloud book for Annie and Graves. (Education/Edification)

7. Organize Sallie's pj drawer and sort stuff she's outgrown. (Organization)  

8. Start planning a couple of tentative trips for the fall. (Travel)

9. Spend very little on going out to eat. We said we were on a spending freeze but really we're just not getting take out once a week. We're still going out with friends occasionally and last night I got myself dinner from CFA after a hard day. (Finances)
10. Surround myself with music that bring joy. One more month of this because I love it. (Joy/Gratitude/Perspective)
 
11. Have a few more Wonder Years marathons with P. We had one the other night and it was such a blast. (Fun Goal)
Here's to July, a month nearly gone. Let me savor summer and enjoy the feeling hot pavement under my feet, the taste of cool water on my lips, the sound of crickets that each evening brings.

No comments: