Monday, July 17, 2017

Sunday Hymns and Herrington Babies: How Great Is He Who Has Made All Things Well

I've been including these as part of my Weekly Happenings but I decided I wanted to think about making them into their own posts.

I'd be lying if I said I don't really enjoy sharing a picture of the kids from the one predictable time each week when I know they'll be clean and all have their hair brushed and be wearing things I chose for them.

And I love giving my favorite hymns a little more of the attention they deserve.

But mostly, I love that it's a time I reflect on things- on our daily lives and on the children's personalities and growth and weaknesses and, maybe most importantly, on my own life of faith.  When we get home from church (most weeks), I spent a little chunk of time thinking and writing these into rather long Instagram posts. 

All three things- the spiffy babies, the beautiful hymns, and the reflections- feel like they merit a little bit more of a place of prominence in this space so I'm planning to make this a (mostly) weekly feature.

***********



Each little flower that opens,
Each little bird that sings,
He made their glowing colors,
He made their tiny wings.
The cold wind in the winter,
The pleasant summer sun,
The ripe fruits in the garden,
He made them every one.

He gave us eyes to see them,
And lips that we might tell
How great is God Almighty,
Who has made all things well.

On Saturday, Graves got some kind of infection in his toe and I ended up taking him to the after hours clinic (something we hardly ever do because Peyton- the medical person- is real "meh" unless it's an outright emergency). This was pretty emergent. The doctor said it looked like it was starting to streak a bit and these things move FAST and if he started running fever we might need to put him on IV antibiotics. They drained it and sent it for a culture and put him on some strong oral antibiotics. He was SO brave when the doctor drained it.

Minnie was out of town, so I left both girls with Mickey, who is now heralding Annie as his hero. I think she essentially babysat Sallie and Mickey supervised. She told me that she ate her cereal at two different times so Mickey wouldn't have to "deal with Sallie" by himself for long without a break. She also tried to cut a wipe into thirds when they could only find one and he said he couldn't change a dirty diaper unless they had three (I think he's changed exactly one in his life and it was Graves's, who is the baby boy he never had). And I came home to find her sweeping the kitchen without being asked.

She is memorizing this hymn as part of her English studies. Predictably, her favorite lines are the ones about birds and wings and flowers and mountains. I too love the imagery, particularly that of the seasons and ripe fruits in gardens, but my favorite stanza is the final one and the reminder that "He has made all things well".

My understanding is that He calls the birds and mountains 'good' but he calls Annie- and her brother and her sister- 'very good'. They, like their momma, are deeply flawed in countless ways but they are also simultaneously 'very good'. How great is He who made them so incredibly unique and who made them so well.

No comments: